In Sweden, we find one of the world’s purest water, filtered to perfection since the Ice Age. It is no coincidence that the distillery is located next to a boulder with constant access to the crystal clear waters. Our Swedish barley develops a special sweetness during the long summer days, a sweetness that has become one of the cornerstones of our whisky.
A large part of our whisky is stored in new Swedish oak. The Swedish oak grows slowly in our harsh climate and gives the whisky a harsher flavor than American oak. The whisky gets a fiery spice balanced by sweetness similar to caramelized sugar.
Today we produce whisky with the same joy of discovery and experimentation as we did when starting in 1999, but in one of the world’s most modern distilleries. We do it according to the rules of art, but we do it our way and with Swedish ingredients. To produce whisky without additives and with as little environmental impact as possible is for us a matter of course.
In 2011, the world’s most climate-smart whisky distillery was completed, Mackmyra Gravity Distillery – a 35 meter high building where the manufacturing process is carried out using gravity.
The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Mackmyra Svensk Rok (2017) - Mackmyra Svensk Rok (46.1%, OB, 2013) Whisky Review Category: Swedish single malt whisky Origin Mackmyra Distillery Bottling: Mackmyra ABV: 46.1% Cost: £48.73 What they say: Mackmyra Svensk Rok In Sweden we have […]
- Mackmyra 12 Years Old (Chorlton Whisky) (2021) - A lovely fresh Mackmyra, initially a little closed but given time and air and possibly a drop of water too this opens up and reveals plenty.
- Mackmyra 5 Years Old Batch 2 (2020) - Mackmyra 5 Years Old Batch 2 Whisky Review: Deliciously floral and fruity, I love Makmyra's quirky nature and this has it in droves despite the simple cask maturation. 86/100
- Mackmyra Bjorksav (2021) - Very sweet and with plenty of range and intensity of flavours. Perhaps a little too sweet for my palate? 82/100
- Mackmyra Blomstertid (2016) - A wonderful nosing whisky and another great example of Mackmyra (and Angela's) innovations taking their Swedish single malt to flavour locations Scotch malt whisky can only dream about. Another well-balanced and well constructed whisky appealing to subtler and lighter palates. Spring/summery in nature, quite refreshing. 86/100
- Mackmyra Brukswhisky (2015) - Mackmyra Brukswhisky ~ 41.4% (Mackmyra) Swedish single malt whisky 41.4% ABV, £38 for 70cl Score: 86/100 What they say: Mackmyra Brukswhisky is an exciting, well-balanced whisky, created to be enjoyed at all […]
- Mackmyra Brukswhisky 2008 vintage (2021) - More neutral and better balanced with a wealth of woody/sappy notes like walking through a pine forest but still with hints of the classic Mackmyra sweetened banana distillate. 84/100
- Mackmyra First Edition (2014) - Mackmyra First Edition ~ 46.1% (Mackmyra) 46.1% ABV, £40 for 70cl Score: 89/100 What they say: We pursued our dreams and created the first Swedish malt Whisky. A Whisky that carries new experiences. […]
- Mackmyra Mack (2021) - Banana splits club (Hold the bus!) super estery and sweet, plenty of fruit but some woody spices to keep it in check towards the end. Fairly simple and straightforward and the sweetness is just about tempered enough to keep it pleasing. 80/100
- Mackmyra Special:07 Hope (2015) - Mackmyra Special:07 Hope ~ 45.8% (Mackmyra) Swedish single malt whisky 45.8% ABV, £67.45 for 70cl Score: 89/100 What they say: Mackmyra Special:07 is a complex whisky with salty notes of both autumn […]
- Mackmyra Special:08 Handplockat (2014) - Mackmyra Special:08 Handplockat ~ 46% (Mackmyra) 46% ABV, £76 for 70cl Score: 90/100 What they say: Mackmyra Special:08 is a delicious, spicy, Swedish malt whisky with a floral and fruity character. This […]
- Mackmyra Svensk Ek (2021) - Mackmyra's 100 Swedish expression including full maturation in Swedish oak. Full of orange zest and woody spices I found this one pleasing but a little challenging in places, perhaps a dash of water may help here? 82/100