Mackmyra 12 Years Old (Chorlton Whisky)
What they say
Indie bottler Chorlton Whisky has forayed outside of Scotland for this bottling! This single malt was distilled over at Mackmyra in Sweden, and left to mature in a single bourbon barrel in an abandoned mine under the Swedish forest. Now that’s not something you hear every day. The barrel produced 278 bottles at cask strength, a warming 50.2% ABV. We’re also still marvelling at the awesome label. Dragons and whisky, what more could you want?
What I say
Ey up little Old lady, Chorlton and the whiskies ere. Yet another Dragon to come out of Chorlton-cum-Hardy. Aside form the tenuous reference to a kids TV programme as old as I am (Chorlton and the Wheelies), there is very little I know about Chorlton whiskies.
- ABV 50.2%
- Age 12 Years Old
- Bottler Chorlton Whisky
- Bottling Ancien Regime
- Cask Bourbon Barrel
- Category Single Malt Whisky
- Cost £70
- Origin Mackmyra Distillery
- Outturn 278 bottles
- Region Sweden
- Released 2019
- Vintage Undeclared
My tasting notes:
- Appearance Bright gold (5/10), quick, medium-fine tears and fine legs.
- Nose Sweet, apple, vanilla, fresh, doyen du comice pear, fresh and floral, dusty, sweets, icing sugar, fresh doughnuts, sharp white grape, malt, fresh linen and pine wood.
- Taste Neutral sweet on the palate, clear crystal malt then sugary (refined), sweet, umami, pastry, biscuit, cereal, vanilla, fresh apple, touch sharp and citric/green, white grape, floury, butter, pancakes, citrus lemon curd with ginger.
- Finish Long, drying, spiced, white flowers and white pepper, woody oak and sappy pine.
- Overall A lovely fresh Mackmyra, initially a little closed but given time and air and possibly a drop of water too this opens up and reveals plenty.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review