Mackmyra Svensk Ek
What they say
An Entirely Swedish Single Malt Whisky, Made in a Swedish Way with Swedish Ingredients
The flagship Swedish whisky created using 100% Swedish ingredients. Casks coopered from Swedish oak create a more firm and spicy flavour. Svensk Ek is matured in Swedish oak casks giving the whisky a spicy character giving notes of sandalwood, dried ginger, black pepper, roasted oak barrel and herbs to our whisky.
We are constantly developing our ancient craft to make it even better. One example of our many innovations is to age a great deal of our whisky in smaller barrels thereby extracting more flavour.
Official tasting notes
- Nose: Fruity with citrus, pear, apple and honey. A light oakiness with sweet, lightly toasted bread notes and fresh butter toffee.
- Taste: Svensk Ek has a spicy character giving notes of sandalwood, dried ginger, black pepper, roasted oak barrel and herbs to our whisky. Fruity and smooth with citrus, caramel and honey. A light oakiness can be discerned at the end.
- Aftertaste: The aftertaste is tuned and balanced with hints of dark chocolate.
What I say
I’m quite a fan of Mackmyra’s output and especially their very Swedish special editions. Unfettered by SWA rules Mackmyra really like to stamp their individuality on their products. I recently got the chance to sample through several of their range, including some revisits, which I naturally jumped at.
- ABV 44.7%
- Age NAS
- Bottler Mackmyra (Official)
- Bottling Svensl Ek
- Cask Swedish Oak
- Category Single malt Swedish whisky
- Cost £52.50
- Origin Mackmyra Distillery
- Outturn n/a
- Region Sweden
- Released 2015
- Vintage undisclosed
My tasting notes
- Appearance Orange gold (10/20), medium tears and long fine legs.
- Nose Citrus orange and lemon zests, fragrant orange blossom, sandalwood, biscuity barley, orchard fruits; apple, pear, oak wood, bark and black pepper.
- Taste Light bodied, zesty and spicy, floral, masses of orange zest and sandalwood lead, almost soapy, malty, gingerbread, peppery, cloves, mace, freshly grated nutmeg, some sweet caramel or toffee sauce, nutty, later some soft vanilla.
- Finish Long, spiced and zesty, oak wood, spirity later, after-eight mints.
- Overall Mackmyra’s 100 Swedish expression including full maturation in Swedish oak. Full of orange zest and woody spices I found this one pleasing but a little challenging in places, perhaps a dash of water may help here?
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review