The Lakes Distillery
Following a £9m investment and three years in development, The Lakes Distillery opened in December 2014 in The Lake District National Park with the vision of producing world class spirits that will be global brands recognised and respected around the world. Since then, we have become one of Cumbria’s leading award winning tourist attractions, welcoming 100,000 visitors in its first year.
The Lakes Distillery’s first spirit offering was The ONE, a unique blended whisky containing mix of the best whiskies from around the British Isles leading to a spirit which is remarkably smooth but full of character, giving a well-rounded balance of flavours. Our portfolio has expanded to include The Lakes Gin and The Lakes Vodka, lovingly created in our hand-crafted copper stills at the distillery. Our eagerly-awaited Lakes Malt Whisky is currently resting in a selection of high quality barrels with a limited bottling due in 2018.
Housed in a beautifully renovated 1850s Victorian model farm, the Distillery has a range of facilities for visitors to enjoy. This includes an interactive tour which last one hour and offers a sensory experience enjoyed by all ages including a tasting of our spirits. The tours follow the journey of how our world-class gin and vodka and our eagerly anticipated malt whisky are made. Visitors are also invited to see behind the scenes at the working distillery and explore the stillrooms, warehouse and tasting room.
The Lakes Distillery also has a luxury gift shop with locally-sourced products and our resident herd of friendly alpacas, which visitors can walk past whilst enjoying a walk down to the River Derwent.
The acclaimed Bistro at The Lakes Distillery has developed a tremendous reputation popular with tourists and locals thanks to menus created by head chef Andrew Beaton, with renowned Michelin star chef Terry Laybourne as a mentor.
After only one year, The Lakes Distillery has already built up an outstanding reputation; winning the ‘Tourism and Hospitality’ award at the CN Awards 2015, A ‘Master’ medal at the Global Spirits Masters 2016 and being named a top 50 icon of Cumbria by judges of Cumbria Magazine. On 22nd July 2015, The Lakes Distillery was officially opened by HRH The Princess Royal with the Deputy Lord Lt. of Cumbria Charles in attendance.
The essence of The Lakes Distillery brand is one of beauty, honesty and a heartfelt sense of place. Our highly experienced team, experts in their field, are passionate about producing the best quality spirits and customer experiences.
The Lakes whisky reviews:
- Steel Bonnets (46.6%, OB, 2018) - Steel Bonnets Blended English and Scotch malt whisky review: A robust blended malt, I'm guessing a healthy influence of sherry cask maturation involved in some of the components at least due to the influences on the palate of orange, herbal, wood-smoke and nuts, very likeable in fact. 84/100
- The ONE Limited Edition Pedro Ximenéz Cask Finish (40%, OB, 2017) - The ONE Pedro Ximenéz Cask Finish Whisky Review Category: Blended British Whisky Origin: ? Bottling: The Lakes Distillery ABV: 40% Cost: £39.95 What they say: The ONE Limited Edition Pedro Ximenéz Cask […]
- The ONE Limited Edition Tawny Port Cask Finish (40%, OB, 2017) - The ONE Tawny Port Cask Finish Whisky Review Category: Blended British Whisky Origin: ? Bottling: The Lakes Distillery ABV: 40% Cost: £39.95 What they say: The ONE Limited Edition Tawny Port Cask Finish This […]
- The ONE Port Edition Prototype Cask Strength (60.2%, OB, 2018) - The One Port Prototype Cask Strength whisky review: Definitely benefiting from delivery strength, this Port finish expression is dangerously drinkable at 60.2% ABV, With such and intensity of flavour you could almost be mistaken that this has spent some time around PX-sherry apart from the telltale jammy fruits, very much plum, damson and cranberry and of course that awesome Crimson colour! 86/100
- The ONE Sherry Limited Edition (46.6%, OB, 5500 Bottles, 2018) - The ONE Sherry Limited Edition whisky review: Very balanced, quite robust for a blended whisky and the higher ABV really helps add meat to this ones bones. A pleasant mixture of spirit and cask, lively -most likely from the youthfull Lakes distillate, but really quite accomplished. A definite improvement on last years release. 84/100
- The One ~ 40% (The Lakes Distillery) - The One Blended British whisky 40% ABV, £29.95 for 70cl from Master of Malt Score: 84/100 What they say: The ONE is a unique blend of exceptional whiskies from the British Isles. […]
- The Whiskymaker’s Reserve No.1 (60.6%, OB, 5922 Bottles, 2019) - The Whiskymaker’s Reserve No.1 whisky review: I found this a little hot and spirity at cask strength (as presented 60.6% ABV) but this expression takes water well and reveals a robust malty body. Some great flavours developing here but perhaps a little too woody and tannic with associated spice for me, hopefully this will calm with age and so the Lakes single malt is definitely one to watch out for in the future. 83/100