The One Moscatel Wine Cask Finish
What they say:
Seduced by the floral nature of Moscatel wine, The Lakes Distillery has unveiled the latest cask finished expression of The One fine blended whisky.
An uplifting and fragrant whisky, The One Moscatel has been finished in hand-selected Moscatel wine casks from southern Spain. It complements a series of cask finished whiskies which demonstrate the influence oak and cask seasoning has on the flavour elevation of a singular blended whisky.
Similar in style to PX, albeit less sweet, the Moscatel wine is made with grapes from the small town of Chipiona, in the Cádiz province of Andalucía. Benefiting from the Soleo process – sun-drying the grapes before pressing them – the resulting reduction in water and relative change in sugar level alters the viscosity, flavour and aroma of the juice, giving rise to fresh and floral characters in the cask.
With The Lakes Single Malt at its heart, the blended whisky has been expertly crafted by The Lakes’ Whiskymaker, Dhavall Gandhi, using select Scotch grain and malt whiskies from the Highlands, Speyside and Islay. The influence of the Moscatel cask creates a delicate and fragrant whisky, perfect for enjoying neat or with a mixer.
The Lakes Distillery Whiskymaker, Dhavall Gandhi:
“Using an identical recipe for each expression enables us to showcase the impact oak and cask seasoning has on the whisky’s flavour.
“The floral characteristics of Moscatel, in combination with American oak, have transformed the blend into a fresh and uplifting whisky which is easy to drink on its own but versatile enough to enjoy in a refreshing highball or cocktail.”
Tasting notes: Fragrant jasmine and honeyed fruits on the nose lead to a delicate and uplifting palate of citrus with underlying notes of vanilla and manuka honey, with a clean, smooth and lingering finish. Bottled at 46.6% ABV, non-chill filtered and natural colour, The One Moscatel Cask Finished Whisky has a recommended retail price of £48 and is available from www.LakesDistillery.com from 25th February 2021.
What I say
The latest version of The Lakes ‘The One’ blend this time finished in sweet Moscatel Wine casks.
This post was sponsored by The Lakes Distillery via provision of a sample of this product.
- ABV 46.6%
- Age NAS
- Bottler Official
- Bottling The One Blend
- Cask Moscatel wine finish
- Category Blended whisky
- Cost £48
- Origin The Lakes Distillery
- Outturn unknown
- Region England
- Released 2021
- Vintage Undeclared
My tasting notes:
- Appearance Orange tinged amber (8/20), slow-forming, medium tears and beaded legs.
- Nose Soft, fragrant, floral and fruity, grape, melon, apple, honey, woody spice, cinnamon, citrus, orange & grapefruit peel, pineapple upside-down cake, ginger.
- Taste Fruity and light, fruit syrup, palate grows, pineapple fritters, vanilla sponge and pineapple upside-down cakes, ginger and cinnamon, woody oak, allspice, cream and honey.
- Finish Long, drying, vaporous, wood spices and honey.
- Overall Light, sweet and fruity with lots of cake notes, quite light on the palate this has spirity and vaporous touches which prevent it from becoming cloying.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review