The Whiskymaker’s Reserve No.4
What They Say
English whiskymaker The Lakes Distillery has announced the release of their latest single malt whisky, The Whiskymaker’s Reserve No.4.
An evolution in the journey to define their sherry-led house style, the new whisky is an artistic exploration of maturation and blending. Supremely balanced and complex, it is a single malt whisky matured in the finest, meticulously sourced Oloroso, PX and red wine casks, comprising Spanish, American and French oak.
At 52% ABV and bottled at natural colour, it possesses the same sherry-led, wood-forward and flavour-packed characteristics of previous releases, with a more restrained, sophisticated, and almost Moorish influence.
The Lakes Distillery’s whiskymaker is Dhavall Gandhi, who said, “From the American and Spanish oak casks, big notes of Manuka honey, sun-dried dates, and roasted cashew nuts lead to layers of dried fruit, nuts and spice, with an indulgent velvet-cream finish.
“One of our most complex yet approachable whiskies in the series to date, this is a well-balanced and contemplative whisky, ideal to enjoy after dinner or with good friends.”
Available from www.LakesDistillery.com, the RRP is £65 for a 70cl bottle.
Official Tasting Notes
RICH MANUKA HONEY WITH SUN-DRIED DATES AND ROASTED CASHEW NUTS
VELVETY, WITH A RICH, ALMOST MOORISH, INTERPLAY OF DRIED FRUITS, NUTS AND SPICE
VIBRANT WITH A LONG AND CREAMY FINISH, ENDINGWITH A BURST OF SPICES
What I say
The latest expression from The Whiskymakers Reserve collection from Dhavall at The Lakes Distillery. A continuing evolution from a diverse cask mixture.
- ABV 52%
- Age NAS
- Bottler The Lakes Distillery
- Bottling The Whiskymakers Reserve No. 4
- Cask Oloroso, PX & Red Wine
- Category Single Malt Whisky
- Cost £65
- Origin The Lakes Distillery
- Outturn ?
- Region England
- Released 2021
- Vintage Undeclared
My tasting notes:
- Appearance Bronze (14/20), slow-forming, fine tears and long, fine legs.
- Nose Fruity and rich, orange oil, raisin, dates, plum, heather honey, nutty toasted flaked almonds, polished wood, floral honeysuckle.
- Taste Medium-bodied, fruity, raisins, plum, date, sweet, honey nut brittle, sugared almonds, honey-roasted nuts, later dates and red fruits, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.
- Finish Long, spiced honey, red berries and cream.
- Overall Another expression packed full with fruit, nut and spice, these are starting to feel much more integrated though there is still a touch of a youthful spiced and vaporous nature towards the end.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review