Region: Wick, Scotland, KW1 5BA
Owner: Inver House Distillers
Water source: Loch Hempriggs (via lade)
Mash tun: Stainless steel semi-lauter (copper-topped)
Washbacks: 5x Corten Steel, 1x Stainless steel
Stills: 1x Wash 1x Spirit
Capacity: 1.8 million litres per annum
The Old Pulteney Distillery is a malt whisky production and aging facility in the Pulteneytown area of Wick, Caithness, in the Highland area of Scotland. The distillery produces the Old Pulteney single-malt whisky at a number of ages and has a visitor centre in Huddart Street.
The distillery was established in 1826 in the name of Sir William Pulteney (who died in 1805), and for whom Pulteneytown is named. The distillery is the most northerly on the Scottish mainland and was quite inaccessible, except by sea, when established. Barley was brought in by sea, and the whisky was shipped out the same way. Many of the distillery workers were also employed as fishermen. The herring fishing industry is no longer part of daily life in Wick but the distillery continues to operate, producing a Highland single-malt with a reputation as one of the finest available. Characteristics of the whisky are attributed to exposure to sea air during maturation.
The distillery closed in 1930 due to declining trade after the local parish enforced prohibition laws but re-opened in 1951 when the vote was rescinded after the law was abolished. It is now owned by Inver House Distillers.
The Old Pulteney site uses water from an old mill lade, constructed by Thomas Telford. This stream flows out of Loch Hempriggs, 3 or 4 kilometres (2 miles) to the south/southwest, and is reputed to have powered a barley mill at or near the site of the distillery.
Our Visit: November 2014 WOLS Highland Trip 2014
Old Pulteney Whisky Reviews:
- Old Pulteney 12 Years Old ~ 40% (Inver House) - Old Pulteney 12 Years Old (Official Bottling) ABV: 40% Cost: £24 from Amazon Score: 85/100 What they say: Matured wholly in air-dried, hand-selected ex-bourbon casks, the ‘unashamedly excellent’ Old Pulteney 12-years-old is the definitive expression in the Old Pulteney family. Traditionally crafted using techniques that other distillers have long abandoned, this winner of numerous gold medals […]
- Old Pulteney 13 Years Old 2001 52.20 All day American breakfast in the garden ~ 64.7% (SMWS) - Old Pulteney 13 Years Old 2001 – 52.20 All day American breakfast in the garden Highland single malt scotch whisky 64.7% ABV, £47.10 for 70cl from Scotch Malt Whisky Society Score: 83/100 What they say: Cask No. 52.20 Available to buy from 9am Friday 14 November The first impression was of echeveria, aloe vera, warm […]
- Old Pulteney 17 Years Old ~ 46% (Inver House) - Review: Old Pulteney 17 Years Old Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Pulteney Distillery Bottling: Official – Inver House Distillers Ltd. ABV: 46% Cost: £59.99 from Master of Malt What they say: Our 17-year-old predominantly features ex-bourbon maturation, with the addition of spirit that has been wholly matured in Spanish wood ex-sherry casks, predominantly Pedro […]
- Old Pulteney 1990 Vintage ~ 46% (Inver House) - Old Pulteney 1990 Vintage (Official Bottling) 46% ABV, £120 from specialist whisky shops Score: 91/100 What they say: We are delighted to today [15th November 2013] announce the latest addition to our distinguished portfolio, the limited edition 1990 Vintage. Only 900 cases of this exceptional single malt will be rolled out globally from November 2013 […]
- Old Pulteney 21 Years Old ~ 46% (Inver House) - Review: Old Pulteney 21 Years Old Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Bottle: Official ABV: 46% Cost: £92.99 for 70cl from Master of Malt Score: 90/100 What they say: Old Pulteney 21 Year Old has been voted 2012 World Whisky of the Year by the prestigious “Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible.” Scoring a record-equalling 97.5 points […]
- Old Pulteney Navigator ~ 46% (Inver House) - Old Pulteney Navigator (Official Bottling) 46% ABV, NAS, around £40 from specialist whisky shops Score: 69/100 What they say: The ‘Old Pulteney’ Clipper Round the World Race yacht departed from London’s Tower Bridge on Sunday 1st September with a very special cargo on board: the first case of a brand new limited edition Old Pulteney […]
- Old Pulteney WK209 Good Hope ~ 46% (Inver House) - Review: Old Pulteney WK209 Good Hope Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Pulteney Distillery Bottling: Official, Travel Retail Edition ABV: 46% Score: 84/100 What they say: Established in 1826 in the town of Wick, the Pulteney Distillery is the most northerly on the mainland and at that time was only accessible by sea. The […]
- Old Pulteney WK217 ‘Spectrum’ ~ 46% (Inver House) - Old Pulteney WK217 ‘Spectrum’ (Travel Retail) NAS, 46% ABV, £42.99 for 1L Score 78/100 What they say: This is the third and final expression in our series of single malt whiskies related to extraordinary boats from Wick. The WK217 ‘Spectrum’ was built in 1920 and was one of the first Wick drifters to use a […]