Old Pulteney 18 Years Old
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Pulteney distillery
- Bottling: Inver House, OB
- ABV: 46%
- Cost: £112
What they say
Matured for 18 years, this is indulgent and spicy thanks to the casks selected for maturation.
Taking its character and colour entirely from the casks within which it has been nurtured, this is a deeply warming whisky. The indulgence extends through this single malt with chocolate and spice defining the character but allowing for the influence of more vibrant zesty flavours.
Official tasting notes:
- Appearance: Deep amber
- Aroma: Intense and warming. Indulgent chocolate and creamy vanilla, with rich honey sweetness tempered by vibrant spices. A whisper of flowery fruitiness yields to crisp bursts of citrus and apple.
- Taste: Chocolaty indulgence layered with honeyed spices and Christmas cake. Floral notes lend a dash of finesse, while zesty hints of citrus and green apple enliven a lovely long finish.
What I say
Sampled during the Old Pulteney #MaritimeMalt twitter tasting on 20th September 2018
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Burnished copper (11/20), slow, rounded, medium-fine tears leave medium legs.
- Nose: Dried fruit; raisin and fig and chocolate, creamy toffee, sweet honey and vanilla, baking spices, cereal malt and a sprinkle of smoked sea salt, Terry’s dark chocolate orange.
- Taste: Succulent red berry fruits, grapes and dried raisins, creamy milk and dark chocolate, vanilla, floury and dusty like cocoa powder, spiced cinnamon, nutmeg and black pepper, fruity malt loaf/Soreen, salted caramel sauce and chocolate lime sweeties.
- Finish: Long, drying, spiced and dried fruits and dark chocolate.
Reminiscent of the recently discontinued Old Pulteney 17 Year Old, this 18 year old expression from Pulteney distillery has a healthy sherry influence and plenty of wonderful chocolate notes. My overall impression is this lacks a little complexity or is a bit more polished than the 17 perhaps.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review