Pulteney 1998 Connoisseurs Choice Cask Strength
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Pulteney distillery
- Bottling: Gordon & MacPhail, Connoisseurs Choice 2018, Cask Strength
- ABV: 57.5%
- Cost: £130
What they say
- DISTILLERY Pulteney
- REGION Highland
- DISTILLED Wednesday, 26 August 1998
- BOTTLED Thursday, 21 June 2018
- ABV 57.5%
- YEARS OLD 19
- CASK NO. 1071
- CASK TYPE First fill bourbon barrel
- OUTTURN 192 bottles
- BATCH 18/049
Official tasting notes:
- Aroma Aromas of a summer picnic: pressed green apple, apricot jam, and gooseberry. Subtle exotic fruit notes emerge and mix with touches of toasted malt and gentle elderflower.
- Taste Crushed black pepper mellows into a zesty lemon; flavours of peaches and vanilla cream emerge. Ripe banana and pink grapefruit add a lightly drying edge.
- Finish Medium; herbal undertones develop into lingering citrus notes.
What I say
Celebrating 50 years of Connoisseurs Choice with Gordon & MacPhail.
An Independent bottling of Pulteney bottled as part of Gordon & MacPhail’s Connoisseurs Choice Cask Strength range.
Distilled in 1998 at Pulteney distillery and matured in a 1st fill ex Bourbon barrel for 19 years before producing 192 bottles at 57.5% ABV at outturn.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Copper gold (8/20), medium-fine tears and legs.
- Nose: Sweet, salted caramel, toffee, fruity apple, pear, peach, banana, a touch of lemon oil, herbal thyme and cereal barley malt.
- Taste: Sharp and sugary, citrus and hints of liqourice, settles into sweet honey, fruity apple, peach, nectarine, slightly salted, dried leather, salted caramel, vanilla and toffee.
- Finish: Long, sweet and jammy apricot and dried peach, gentle oak wood, lemon & thyme.
This single ex-bourbon barrel matured Pulteney expression reveals some interesting facets including Pulteney’s delicious coastal salt influence and in this example quite a savoury lemon & thyme mixture.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review