Old Pulteney Huddart
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Pulteney distillery
- Bottling: Inver House, OB
- ABV: 46%
- Cost: £43.80
What they say
A distinctively smoky take on Old Pulteney celebrating our birthplace.
Richly warming, this single malt embraces a mellow smoky character, whilst very much Old Pulteney at its heart. The combination of influence from the salt-infused sea air and the peat smoke make for a whisky with real character, depth and identity. With a richness extending into its rich gold colour, this single malt offers much in terms of complexity and flavour while subtly reminding us of the place where Old Pulteney began.
Official tasting notes:
- Appearance: Rich gold
- Aroma: Rich and warming. Brimming initially with mellow wood smoke, honey and oily leather, blooming later into crisp green apple. Creamy vanilla and a hint of burnt toffee in the background.
- Taste: Freshly-ground spices and soft vanilla balance the notes of smoke and peat fire. There are both richly sweet and distinctly salty coastal flavours in the background, together reminiscent of salted caramel.
What I say
Sampled during the Old Pulteney #MaritimeMalt twitter tasting on 20th September 2018
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark gold (12/20), oily, medium-large tears leave large legs.
- Nose: Initially sweet and gentle fruits, apple and pear, a little honey, sandalwood and oiled leather, smoked & salted almonds.
- Taste: Vanilla cream, creamy fudge, biscuit, sweet apple crumble, sandalwood incense sticks burning.
- Finish: Short, vanilla, a little drying oak with spice, citrus zest and hint of salt.
A lot less smoky than I was hoping for, pretty neutral but well constructed.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review