Old Pulteney 2004 Single Cask #128 TWE Exclusive (62.1%, OB, Sherry Butt, 612 Bottles, 2018)
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Pulteney Distillery
- Bottling: OB exclusively for The Whisky Exchange
- ABV: 62.1%
- Cost: ~£120
What they say
A cask-strength single malt from Old Pulteney, bottled exclusively for us. This rich and fruity dram, of which only 612 bottles are available, was matured in a single sherry cask between 2004 and 2018. It has delicious flavours of spiced vanilla, dried fruits and dark chocolate, with hints of the distillery’s characteristic saltiness.
Official tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark bronze
- Nose: Hints of butterscotch and toffee are followed by notes of Christmas cake and dried fruit drizzled with honey.
- Palate: A spicy vanilla is followed by dried fruits and a hint of dark chocolate. The finish is long with hints of saltiness; which is signature to Old Pulteney single malt whisky.
What I say
An official single cask 2004 vintage Old Pulteney bottled exclusively for The Whisky Exchange.
Matured for 14 years (2004-2018) in a Sherry Butt and bottled at cask strength 62.1%.
My tasting notes:
- Colour: Old brown Oloroso sherry (18/20), beading forms slow medium-fine tears and leaving very fine legs.
- Nose: Sherry-soaked raisins, plum duff, Fruit-cake and malt loaf (Soreen) a faint hint of chewy old bicycle tyre rubber, umami, toffee apple, treacle toffee, sticky toffee pudding, walnuts and fruity dark chocolate, salted caramel.
- Taste: Deep dark fruits, plums, damson, raisin, figs, all wrapped in dark chocolate, a little spirity burn at full strength hints at cinnamon spice and lime juice, reduced this softens revealing more toffee and caramel but also a healthy pinch of spices, earthy cheroot cigars, liqourice root and angelica stems, a little woody and fibrous before settling into malt loaf and fruit cake from the nose.
- Finish: Long, spiced gingerbread or fruitcake, salted caramel, hints of dark chocolate, coffee grounds and drying walnut.
An intense and heavily sherried Pulteney cask reminds me why I love this combination so much. Deep dark fruit coupled with chocolate from the cask mixes with rich malt, coastal salt and sweet fruitiness of Pulteney’s spirit. A brief rubbery whiff on the nose was a false alarm and this dilutes wonderfully revealing ever more facets and flavours.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review