1. What they say
Distilled in 2002 at Blair Athol distillery and matured for 11 years in refill Hogsheads before bottling in 2014 at 46% ABV, producing 421 bottles at outturn.
2. Official tasting notes
- ABV 46%
- Age 11 Years Old
- Bottler Langside
- Bottling Hepburn’s Choice
- Cask Refill Hogsheads
- Category Single malt scotch whisky
- Cost £40
- Origin Blair Athol Distillery
- Region Highland
- Released 2014
4. What I say
An independently bottled Blair Athol distilled in 2002 and matured in refill hogsheads, a nice way to look at Blair Athol spirit maturation without too much cask influence I suspect.
5. The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Colour Champagne gold (3/20), quick, medium, oily tears and medium legs.
- Nose Cereal and lime initially, biscuity and lightly malty, fruity green apples and lime curd, some honey sweetness, a slight acidity with some green oak wood and soft toffee and caramel.
- Taste Neutral sweet, medium bodied, sponge cake, lime zest, lemon and lime drizzle cake or cheesecake, icing sugar, nutty, nut brittle, quite zesty and sharp and thins with time on the palate.
- Finish Long, spiced and a touch spirity, lime pickle and cinnamon.
Full of fresh fruit flavours and aromas, quite green and spirit driven – I suspected a refill cask and confirmed by the bottling details. Pleasant, a good base whisky and nice insight into Blair Athol spirit.
7. Score 82/100
Categories: Blair Athol, Highland
Leave a Reply