Millstone peated Pedro Ximénez sherry cask
What they say
Peated Dutch single malt whisky from the marvellous Millstone, matured in casks that previously Pedro Ximénez sherry. The intense sweetness of said casks mixed with the powerful salinity of peated malt created a fascinating juxtaposition of flavours, very enjoyable as an after dinner dram.
- Nose: Sea salt, sultana, a hint of floral barley followed by roasted coffee.
- Palate: Somewhat perfumed as it opens, before a big whack of oily malt. Chocolate sauce, sherried orange peels and honey.
- Finish: Oily hops, salty hints once again and a final hint of brown sugar.
What I say
Millstone Dutch single malt whisky produced by Zuidam distillery in The Netherlands. This particular bottling was from peated malt distilled in May 2013 that was matured in an ex-Pedro Ximénez sherry cask and bottled at 46% on 31st March 2018 making this just days under 5 years old.
- ABV 46%
- Age 4 Years Old
- Bottler Zuidam distillers
- Bottling Official
- Cask Pedro Ximenez sherry cask
- Category Single Malt Whisky
- Cost £52.95
- Origin Zuidam Distillery
- Outturn unknown
- Region The Netherlands
- Released 2018
- Vintage 2013
My tasting notes:
- Appearance Bronze (13/10), large tears and thick legs.
- Nose Sweet and smoke -like maple BBQ pork scratchings, maltier in the glass, sherry, dried fruits, figs, dates, walnut, candied pecans, all the smoke appears up front, brown and Muscovado sugars.
- Taste Reserved on the palate, sugary sweet then peated, lovely mixed candied nuts, smoke almond and sea salt, sweetness leads into chocolate, tiramisu, toffee poppets, toffifee, praline and salty smoke.
- Finish Long, sweet, toffee, sticky toffee pudding with dates.
- Overall Superb full of both polished highland and sticky toffee, slightly medicinal with the peat smoke similar to cherry cough drops. A fantastic and powerful mix of sweet and smoke!
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review