- ABV: 59.8%
- Age: 5 Years Old
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Islay single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £125
- Origin: Bruichladdich distillery
- Vintage: 2013
What they say
Distilled from Scottish barley in 2013, Octomore 10.1 is the benchmark of the 10s series. Deliberately stripped back to an ex- American oak maturation, aged just 5 years old, the .1 edition exposes the structure and presence of the Octomore spirit. Combining smoke with a modest maturation, this 10.1 first and foremost demonstrates the true potential of a considered, patient distillation.
- MALTED TO 107PPM
- DISTILLED IN 2013 FROM THE 2012 HARVEST FROM 100% SCOTTISH GROWN CONCERTO BARLEY
- MATURED ENTIRELY ON ISLAY FOR FIVE YEARS
- FULL TERM MATURATION IN 1ST FILL AMERICAN WHISKEY CASKS FROM JIM BEAM, HEAVEN HILL, BUFFALO TRACE AND JACK DANIELS
- BOTTLED UNCHILL-FILTERED AND COLOURING FREE AT BRUICHLADDICH DISTILLERY, 59.8% ALC. / VOL
- LIMITED TO 42,000 BOTTLES
Official tasting notes:
AROMA – Vanilla led, caramel, hints of smoke but tamed back. candied apple, gooseberry and marzipan.
TASTE – Soft yet powerful and warming on the palate, peppery, barley sugar, smokey – dried earth and hints of rubber. Warm sand, sweetness of charred oak and pineapple.
FINISH – Sweetness from tablet/fudge and a strong peat smoke and cold marine air combination.
What I say
The basic 10.1 Octomore expression, 107ppm and matured for 5 years in ex-American oak.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Mid gold (6/20), numerous, medium-fine tears and fine legs.
- Nose: Sweet and mealy, malted barley, porridge oats, flapjacks, honey and syrup, rich, turfy peat, coal-tar soap and graphite pencils, iodine, doctors surgery, sweet peat.
- Taste: Spirity and phenolic, sharp and spiced, brown sugar crystals, earthy, strong peat, honey, orange zest possibly some lemon and lime too, thick barley malt, vanilla, ginger, chestnut oil, woody.
- Finish: Long, fruity sweet, wood chips and clove oil.
For a 5 year old whisky this is very drinkable and accomplished, full on oak and peat on the nose and revals even more on the palate, sweet.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review