Region: Highlands, Scotland, IV13 7YT
Owner: Takara Shuzo Co. Ltd
Water source: Alt-na-Frith Burn
Output: 5 million litres per annum
Although it is thought that whisky has been distilled on the site since the 16th century, when cattle drivers would buy from a local still, the distillery was not established until 1897, under the name of Tomatin Spey Distillery Co Ltd. The company went bankrupt in 1906, and reopened under new ownership in 1909. After the liquidation of its owners in 1986, it was taken over by Japanese conglomerate Takara Shuzo and was renamed Tomatin Distillery Co Ltd.
The distillery operated with only two stills until 1958. Starting at that time, they began to add stills to increase production capacity, eventually reaching production of twelve million litres of whisky per year during the 1970s. Although in 1987 Tomatin was referred to as the largest malt distillery in Scotland, stills have been dismantled since the mid-1980s, bringing their total capacity to just over five million litres, though as of 2007, they were only producing 2.5 million litres.
Around eighty percent of Tomatin’s whisky goes into blended whisky, including its own brands of Antiquary and Talisman. The distillery, as of late, has been making an effort to bolster its name as a producer of single malts and is expanding its core range. In 2003, Tomatin’s basic 10-year-old malt was replaced by the 12-year-old. In 2009, a 15 Year was added to the line-up, which also includes an 18-year-old and a 25-year-old. Other limited releases are often made, including a 30-year, a 40-year and single-cask offerings. Recently, the distillery has begun to produce a lightly peated single malt called Cu Bocan.
Our Visit: April 2011 & November 2014 WOLS Highland Trip 2014
Tomatin whisky reviews:
- Cù Bòcan – The Sherry Edition ~ 46% (Tomatin Distillery) - Cù Bòcan – The Sherry Edition Highland single malt scotch whisky 46% ABV, £45 for 70cl Score: 83/100 What they say: Cù Bòcan is matured in a combination of Sherry, Virgin Oak and Bourbon casks. This exclusive limited edition, launched in September 2014, showcases the influence that Sherry has on our lightly peated single […]
- Cù Bòcan ~ 46% (Tomatin Distillery) - Cù Bòcan single malt scotch whisky Tomatin Distillery NAS, ABV 46% RRP £43.99 Score 73/100 What they say: Lightly peated [15ppm] single malt matured in a compelling combination of Virgin Oak, Bourbon and Sherry casks. Non chill filtered and batch release of 6000 bottles per year. This whisky is described as “light smoke intertwined with […]
- Tomatin 11 Years Old 2003 Bourbon Cask #1903 – Distillery Edition ~ 56.3% (Tomatin Distillery) - Tomatin 11 Years Old 2003 Bourbon Cask #1903 – Distillery Edition Highland single malt scotch whisky 56.3% ABV, £75 for 70cl Score: 83/100 What they say: Distilled in 2003 at the Tomatin distillery, this bottle-your-own expression is exclusively available at the Tomatin distillery visitor centre. Matured for 11 years in an ex-bourbon cask #1903. What […]
- Tomatin 12 Years Old 2003 Sherry Cask #2036 – Distillery Edition ~ 57.7% (Tomatin Distillery) - Tomatin 12 Years Old 2003 Sherry Cask #2036 – Distillery Edition Highland single malt scotch whisky 57.7% ABV, £85 for 70cl Score: 82/100 What they say: Distilled in 2002 at the Tomatin distillery, this bottle-your-own expression is exclusively available at the Tomatin distillery visitor centre. Matured for 12 years in an ex-Sherry cask #2036. What I […]
- Tomatin 12 Years Old ~ 40% (Tomatin Distillery) - Tomatin 12 Years Old Highland single malt scotch whisky 40% ABV [may be rising to 43% next year], RRP £33.99 for 70cl. Score: 81/100 What they say: The Tomatin 12 year old has been the flagship malt for the distillery since 2003 when it replaced the 10 year old. Made from spirit matured for at least 11 years […]
- Tomatin 14 Year Old Port Wood Finish ~ 46% (Tomatin Distillery) - Tomatin 14 Year Old Port Wood Finish (Official Bottling) 46% ABV, £48.95 for 70cl available from most major whisky retailers (e.g. The Whisky Exchange) Score: 80/100 What they say: Added to the core range in 2014, this whisky is soft and smooth with significant sweet influence from the Port casks. After spending time maturing in […]
- Tomatin 14 Years Old 2012 PX Cask 34915 ~ 54% (Tomatin Distillery) - Whisky Review: Tomatin 14 Years Old 2012 PX Cask 34915 Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Tomatin Distillery Bottling: Takara Shuzo, Hand-fill distillery only ABV: 58.2% Cost: £90 What they say: Distilled in 2002 at Tomatin Distillery this handfill distillery only selected ex-Pedro Ximenez cask was left for 14 years before hand-bottled by yours […]
- Tomatin 15 Years Old ~ 43% (Tomatin Distillery) - Tomatin 15 Years Old Highland single malt scotch whisky 43% ABV, RRP £45.99 for 70cl. (Discontinued) Score: 85/100 What they say: The newest edition to the standard range was released in August 2009. Soft and delicate, with significant influence from the North American oak. Tasting notes: Nose: Light and fresh, with delicate oaky notes coming […]
- Tomatin 18 Years Old ~ 46% (Tomatin Distillery) - Tomatin 18 Years Old Highland single malt scotch whisky 46% ABV, RRP £58.99 for 70cl Score: 86/100 What they say: Introduced to the market in 2006, this malt has become a firm favourite among connoisseurs world wide. Cask matured in Re fill American Oak Casks and finished for 18 months in Spanish oak Oloroso sherry […]
- Tomatin 19 Year Old 1994 – Fidra ~ 55.5% (Lockett Bros) - ‘Fidra’ Tomatin 19 Year Old 1994 (Lockett Bros) 55.5% ABV, £69.99 for 70cl Score: 85/100 What they say: Available from Lockett Bros, North Berwick (and online) http://www.lockettbros.co.uk/shop/fidra-tomatin-19yo/ A sweet, buttery Tomatin, distilled in 1994 and aged in a refill hogshead for 19 years before bottling in November 2013. A lovely little 20cl bottle in the […]
- Tomatin 20 Year Old 1994 Old Particular cask 10442 ~ 46.8% (Douglas Laing) - Whisky Review: Tomatin 20 Year Old 1994 Old Particular cask 10442 Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Tomatin Distillery Bottling: Douglas Laing; Old Particular ABV: 46.8% Cost: £97.18 from Douglas Laing What they say: Douglas Laing’s “Old Particular” is a particularly unique series of individually hand-selected aged Single Cask Malts’ and Single Cask Single […]
- Tomatin 30 Years Old ~ 46% (Tomatin Distillery) - Tomatin 30 Years Old Highland single malt scotch whisky 46% ABV, RRP £132.99 for 70cl Score: 92/100 What they say: A rich and elegant non chill filtered single malt with intense fruity aromas which develop in the mouth alongside some more robust spices which emanate from the combination of American and European oak casks. Limited […]
- Tomatin 35 Years Old 1978 – Small Batch ~ 44.1% (Cadenhead’s) - Tomatin 35 Years Old 1978 – Small Batch ~ 44.1% (Wm Cadenhead) 44.1% ABV, £160 for 70cl Score: 85/100 What they say: Nose Rhubarb, butterscotch and aniseed. Barley sugar and bubblegum Palate Strawberry tarts, banana sweets, chocolate covered raisins and icing sugar. A rather pleasing rich middle palate. Finish The ﬁnish mimics the taste and […]
- Tomatin Legacy ~ 43% (Tomatin Distillery) - Tomatin Legacy Highland single malt scotch whisky 43% ABV, RRP £24.99 for 70cl Score: 75/100 What they say: New to the market, this whisky is the brainchild of the new master distiller at Tomatin, released to showcase the recent changes in distillation practices and taking the pace of the new entry level Tomatin on the […]