Tomatin 12 Years Old 2008 French Collection The Cognac Edition
What they say
The Cognac Edition is brimming with fresh fruit and floral flavours with subtle notes of lavender and Scottish heather. On the palate, there are hints of cranberry, orange zest and rose water with well-balanced spices. The French oak provides the expression with a finish which is long, with notes of Earl Gray tea and poached pears.
Distilled in 2008, the whisky began its maturation in traditional Scotch Whisky oak casks before being moved into Cognac casks for the final stage of the process in November 2018, resulting in this magnificent expression.
To celebrate the final launch of The French Collection, and to complement the liquid on the lip’s moment alongside the Cognac Edition, the final part of an immersive four-part content series has been released on the Tomatin website. Stunning visuals, alongside an innovative soundboard using ambisonics, transport the viewer to the origins of the product, through binaural sound – best enjoyed when wearing headphones to experience the full effect. The content will be unveiled in conjunction with product availability, and has been designed for consumers to pair with their purchase, allowing the drinker to lose themselves in the world, and story, of the final edition that makes up the Tomatin French Collection.
Graham Eunson, Master Distiller at Tomatin said: “The fourth and final release from Tomatin’s French Collection is the jewel in the crown. The Cognac Edition, along with the rest of the collection, showcases our innovative dedication to craft and excellence, and is the perfect illustration of the art of comparative final maturation; a concept championed by Tomatin in the Cuatro series released in 2014, which was also very well received.
We have been overjoyed by the response from the whisky community to the earlier releases, and by introducing the Cognac finish as the final edition, we hope to attract a wider audience to our unique concept allowing them to better understand the art of cask maturation.”
The Cognac Edition will retail around £65 RRP and be available from 6th September to complete the French Collection, with Editions 1-3 already launched to markets from 26th April.
The Tomatin Editions 1-4 immersive content series can be viewed on the Tomatin website here.
The French Collection will be available to purchase through specialist whisky retailers worldwide and directly from the Tomatin shop here.
Distilled on 16th May 2008, this whisky is brimming with fresh fruit and floral flavours with subtle notes of lavender and Scottish heather. On the palate there are hints of cranberry, orange zest and rose water with well-balanced spices. The French oak provides a finish which is long, with notes of Earl Grey tea and poached pears.
- Strength: 46% alc./vol.
- Distilled On: 16/05/2008
- Moved to Cognac Cask: 29/11/2018
- Bottled On: 29/03/2021
What I say
The 4th and final expression from Tomatin’s French Collection features a finishing period in ex-Cognac casks. Distilled on 16th May 2008 and matured in ex-Bourbon before finishing from 29th November 2018 until 29th March 2021.
Thanks to Tomatin for providing a sample of this product.
- ABV 46%
- Age 12 Years Old
- Bottler Official
- Bottling The Cognac Edition
- Cask Cognac Cask
- Category Highland single malt whisky
- Cost £65
- Origin Tomatin Distillery
- Outturn undisclosed
- Region Highland
- Released 2021
- Vintage 2008
My tasting notes
- Appearance Buttery white wine gold (8/20), fine tears and long, fine legs.
- Nose Rich and soft/gentle, sugary fudge, caramel, toffee, soft oak wood, apple pie, vanilla, creme brulee, peach melba, floral heather and lavender, soft milled barley flour.
- Taste Light-medium bodied, again starts with that sugary fudge note, buttery and oily, soft fruits, baked apples and pears, orange zest, some tinned fruit cocktail, lavender shortbread biscuits, heather honey, soft spices, cinnamon and soft/suede leather
- Finish long, cinnamon and lavender fudge.
- Overall Soft and sugary, the Cognac casks have highlighted the gentle fruits and florals and added some soft spices and gentle oak tannins which are a perfect complement for Tomatin’s gentle spirit character.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review