- Founded: 1971
- Status: Operational
- Region: Speyside, Scotland.
- Online: https://www.malts.com/en-gb/our-whisky-collection/mannochmore/
History The distillery was founded in 1971 by John Haig & Co. Between 1985 and 1989, production was suspended and the distillery closed; it was then reopened and in 1992 started producing a Mannochmore single malt. In 1996 the black Loch Dhu (“Black Loch” in Scottish Gaelic) single malt whisky was introduced, and has been gaining market favour despite (or because of) the rather unusual appearance and taste. After a brief re-closure in 1995, the distillery only produces for twelve months and then has a break of twelve months alternating with the nearby Glenlossie distillery, with which it shares the employees. As of 2008, Mannochmore distillery has been operated year round by its own crew of employeesthough the (in)famous Loch Dhu has not been made since 1999. The water of the region Speyside, which the distillery belongs to, comes from Bardon Burn. The malt is purchased from Castle Head Maltings in Elgin. The distillery has one mash tun (12 tonnes), eight washbacks (54,000 l), three washstills (14,400 l) and three spirit stills (17,000 l). The distillery works run on steam.
The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Mannochmore 12 Years Old Flora and Fauna (2016) - Mannochmore 12 Years Old Flora and Fauna (43%, OB, 2016) Whisky Review Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky Origin: Mannochmore Distillery Bottling: Diageo ABV: 43% Cost: £46.33 What they say: Mannochmore distillery […]
- Mannochmore 13 Years Old 2007 Strictly Limited (2020) - A delicious sweetie shop dram thanks to the PX maturation, absolutely delightful. 85/100
- Mannochmore 10 Years Old 2008 Mossburn No. 16 (2021) - Works well both at cask strength or reduced, plenty of fruit and a sweet cake-like nature.
Scotch Malt Whisky Society
- SMWS 64.51 Tuck-time in a stately home (2014) - Mannochmore 23 Years Old 1990 64.51 Tuck-time in a stately home (55.8%, SMWS, Refill Bourbon Barrel, 187 Bottles, 2013) 55.8%, £87.20 Score: 85/100 What they say: The nose, with polished wood, oiled […]