What they say
This right here is a 10 year old single malt from an undisclosed distillery on Islay, with 25% of it having been finished in first-fill Oloroso sherry octaves, and bestowed the decidedly descriptive name Seaweed & Aeons & Digging & Fire. If those four words (and three ampersands) aren’t quite enough of an explanation of what this expression is all about, here are a few more: stripped-back, smoky, complex, a bit sherried, balanced, coastal. Yeah, that should do it. Great for people who love uncompromising Islay whisky and sans-serif fonts.https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/seaweed-and-aeons-and-digging-and-fire/seaweed-and-aeons-and-digging-and-fire-10-year-old-whisky/
What I say
A 10 year old partially sherried Islay single malt, bottled by Atom Brands and named Seaweed & Aeons & Digging & Fire. This has a very no fuss/back to basic approach to the label and true it does exactly what it says on the tin. Competitively priced to compete with supermarket offered single malts. Does this IB Islay offer a little more?
This review was sponsored by Master of Malt by provision of a sample of this whisky.
- ABV 40%
- Age 10 Years Old
- Bottler Atom Brands
- Bottling Seaweed & Aeons & Digging & Fire
- Cask Bourbon & Sherry
- Category Single malt scotch whisky
- Cost £34.95 from Master of Malt
- Origin Undisclosed
- Outturn undisclosed
- Region Islay
- Released 2019
- Vintage Undeclared
My tasting notes
- Appearance Bronze (13/20), quick, loose, medium tears and tapered fine legs.
- Nose Peat and sweet, peanut brittle, raisin, maple-smoked bacon, bbq sauce, red fruits, ashy coal dust, iodine, sticking plasters, bbq meats.
- Taste Full-bodied, creamy and oily, thick malty, touch neutral, vanilla cream, salted caramel, peanut brittle, fruit cake, malt loaf with raisins and cherries, biscuity, banana bread, Nori seaweed, apple, polished highland toffee, butterscotch and maple-smoked bacon.
- Finish Medium-long, creamy vanilla, some soft fruit and smoke.
- Overall Good balance and approachable sherried Islay malt. Pleasant but could be so much more! At 40% this is a bit soft and a bit safe for me I’d like a touch more intensity to these flavours and experience.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review