Clynelish 1992 Distillers Edition
- ABV: 46%
- Age: 17 Years old
- Bottling: OB, Diageo
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £discontinued
- Origin: Clynelish distillery
- Vintage: 1992
What they say
Distilled in 1992 and bottled in 2009 this Distillers Edition Clynelish coastal highland single malt has been double matured in Oloroso Seco cask wood.
What I say
From the limited run of Clynelish Distillers Editions:
- Clynelish 1991 Distillers Edition Cl-Br: 169-1f bottled 2006
- Clynelish 1992 Distillers Edition Cl-Br: 170-2g bottled 2007
- Clynelish 1992 Distillers Edition Cl-Br: 171-3h bottled 2008
- Clynelish 1992 Distillers Edition Cl-Br: 172-4i bottled 2009
- Clynelish 1993 Distillers Edition Cl-Br: 173-5j bottled 2010
- Clynelish 1997 Distillers Edition Cl-Br: 174-6k bottled 2011
- Clynelish 1997 Distillers Edition Cl-Br: 175-7l bottled 2012
This is the third release from 1992 vintage stock, making it potentially one the oldest in this range.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Ruby amber gold (11/20), numerous, large tears and long, medium legs.
- Nose: Fruity, waxed paper, tannic leather, dusty, fruity & chalky like Edinburgh rock, yellow cherries, beeswax, walnut, muskovado sugar, quite dry and grassy
- Taste: Oily and waxy, flavour-laden, rich and deep, walnut and clove oil, raisin, ginger spice, orange peel, drying, cinnamon, nutmeg spices.
- Finish: Long, dry, Cointreau, sweet, dry nutmeg spice and beeswax.
Hmm this one felt very much like a work in progress to me, perhaps not overtly influenced by the Oloroso Seco finish or perhaps 16 years of previous maturation required slightly more rather than slightly less than 12 months finishing period? Still a classically waxy and flavourful Clynelish.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review