Springbank 21 Years Old 2016 Single Cask Oloroso Sherry
- Category: Campbeltown single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Springbank Distillery
- Bottling: J & A Mitchell
- ABV: 49.6%
- Cost: £220
What they say
The Springbank Legend returns for a new release in 2016
First single cask release of the 21 Year Old for some time.
Aged for 21 Years and 1 of only 702 bottles from a Oloroso Sherry Butt.
Campbeltown Region Distilled and bottled by J and A Mitchell at Springbank Distillery.
What I say
Dramvent Calender Day 14
This December I am attempting to sample and review a whisky everyday for the 24 days of Advent in the run up to Christmas. My very basic criteria as I sorted through my masses of whisky and samples were these:
- Single malt scotch only and should be (or have been) generally/easily available
- Each day must be from a different distillery
- Each day must be equivalent in age or older than the previous
A 21 year old limited edition/UK only single Oloroso Sherry cask Springbank… Not seen for sometime, Springbank returned their 21 year old age statement with a bang this year by introducing this single cask release (and similar like it in other markets).
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Antique gold, slightly hazy (6/20), fine legs and beaded tears
- Nose: Richly earthen and oily/waxy, beeswax candles and wood polish, slightly spicy and zesty, musty old oak wood and leather-bound tomes in a library, dusty with a little limestone and chalk dust, a hint of honey moves into subtle honey-glazed bbq meats.
- Taste: Beeswax and honey, candles, crayons, sweet and sharp/zesty at the same time, this is deep and rich, not masses of Oloroso sherry influence, a tickle of tanned leather and some wood tannins too, woody sugars amass to sugary fudge, a hint of tobacco leaf & old cigar boxes, cinnamon and pepper spice and something altogether savoury too, woody and herbal notes, like sage leaf and a hint of sweet charred scallop meat.
- Finish: Long, waxy, oily, dirty, dusty, gentle sweetness and a touch of savoury (or Savory Leaf?) last for ages
Understated, muted even, this whisky tantalises and teases with a range of classic Springbank flavours which subtly swirl around in this dram. A great cask selection and definitely one to savour and get lost in. A reverie dram.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review