Glenrothes 8 Year Old The MacPhail’s Collection (43%, Gordon & MacPhail, 2016)
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Glenrothes Distillery
- Bottling: Gordon & MacPhail – The MacPhail’s Collection
- ABV: 43%
- Cost: £33.83
What they say
The MacPhail’s Collection from Glenrothes Distillery
8 Years Old, Strength 43%
- Colour Pale Gold.
- Body Light.
- Finish Fairly short.
- Cask Type Refill Sherry Hogsheads and Refill Bourbon Barrels.
- Style Aperitif.
Official tasting notes:
- AROMA without water Toasted malt with fruit aromas, hints of green apples and fresh coconut. A subtle salty sea air is also present.
- TASTE without water Sweet with floral and fruit flavours, banana and lemonade, and a slight walnut edge.
- AROMA with water Light and fruity with hints of pineapple, orange peel and grapefruit. A vanilla pod aroma lingers.
- TASTE with water Chilli spice with hints of blackberries and raspberries. Creamy with a milk chocolate edge.
What I say
Sampled as part of Gordon & MacPhail’s ‘The Wood Makes The Whisky’ Campaign. Thanks to Gordon & MacPhail for the official sample. This expression was distilled at the Glenrothes Distillery in Speyside and matured for a minimum of 8 years in both Refill Sherry Hogsheads and Refill Bourbon Barrels.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Antique yellow gold (9/20), fast medium-thickness legs
- Nose: New paint/paint thinners, honey, barley malt, sweetness of golden syrup, fruity apple, pear, lemon zest, woody oak, citrus lemon juice, pancakes with lemon and sugar.
- Taste: Smooth and a little viscous/oily, buttery, lemon juice on pancakes, almost orange zestiness, thin marmalade, malty, lightly toasted brown bread, Weetabix/porridge oats, cereal barley malt, breakfasty
- Finish: Medium and zesty – a little heart-warming/spirit and vaporous with reflux a touch of vanilla on re-sampling
Youthful and direct, bitter-sweet lemons but quite refreshing and lively/zesty this ended up being relatively one-dimensional ‘lemon juice on pancakes’
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review