The Midleton distilleries complex is situated in Midleton, County Cork, Ireland. It is owned by Pernod Ricard. Located alongside is the Old Midleton Distillery which was established in the early 17th century.
In 1966, John Power & Son, John Jameson & Son and the Cork Distillery Company (which owned the Old Midleton distillery) merged to form the Irish Distillers Group. The board of the newly formed company decided to close their existing distilleries and consolidate all production at a new facility. This was built at Midleton as it was the only existing site with room for expansion. In July 1975, production ended at The Old Jameson Distillery and began in the new one. The old distillery has since been turned into a visitors centre. Since 2010 the distillery has expanded vastly, with Irish Distillers investing over €200 million to double the capacity of the plant and build a new maturing facility in Dungourney, a nearby village.
Midleton is one of the most modern distilleries in the world and has its production areas linked via fibre-optic networks. The Midleton factory, with a production capacity of 64 million litres per annum, is the largest in Ireland. The distillery boasts three 75,000 litre pot stills, and three column, which are used in combinations of three to produce different types of whiskey.
Midleton Whiskey Reviews:
- Jameson Original Irish Whisky ~ 40% (Irish Distillers) - Whisky Review: Jameson Original Irish Whisky Category: Blended Pot Still and Grain Irish Whiskey Origin: Midleton Distillery Bottling: Jameson ABV: 40% Cost: £21.80 from Master of Malt What they say: Jameson Original is a blend of pot still and fine grain whiskeys that is as versatile as it is smooth. Triple-distilled and aged for a […]
- Jameson Signature Reserve Irish Whiskey ~ 40% (Irish Distillers) - Whiskey review: Jameson Signature Reserve Irish Whiskey Category: Blended Pot Still and Grain Irish Whiskey Origin: Midleton Distillery Bottling: Irish Distillers, Jameson ABV: 40% Cost: £40.99 from World Duty Free What they say: Aged in American oak barrels and the finest sherry casks, Jameson Signature Reserve delivers our signature taste and smoothness with additional heather […]
- Redbreast 1999 Sherry Cask TWE Exclusive ~ 59.9% (Redbreast) - Review: Redbreast 1999 Sherry Cask TWE Exclusive Category: Irish single pot still whisky Origin: New Midleton Distillery Bottling: The Whisky Exchange ABV: 59.9% Cost: £180 from The Whisky Exchange Score: 86/100 What they say: This single-cask bottling of Redbreast was chosen by attendees of a special tasting at The Whisky Exchange shop in 2015. Distilled […]
- Tullamore D.E.W. Original ~ 40% (William Grant & Sons) - Tullamore D.E.W. Original Blended Irish whiskey 40% ABV, £20 for 70cl Score: 83/100 What they say: The original blended Irish whiskey, known the world over for its smooth and gentle complexity. For one, it is triple distilled and patiently aged in a combination of ex-bourbon and sherry casks, developing its distinctive smoothness. Secondly, being a […]
- Tullamore DEW 12 Years Old Special Reserve ~ 40% (William Grant & Sons) - Review: Tullamore DEW 12 Years Old Special Reserve Category: Irish blended whiskey Origin: Midleton Distillery Bottling: William Grant & Sons ABV: 40% Cost: £49.79 from Master of Malt Score: 84/100 What they say: Our 12 Year Old Special Reserve is a carefully crafted blend of old Irish whiskeys. They say with age comes wisdom, or […]
- Tullamore DEW 14 Years Old Single Malt ~ 41.3% (William Grant & Sons) - Review: Tullamore DEW 14 Years Old Single Malt Category: Irish single malt whiskey Origin: Midleton Distillery Bottling: William Grant & Sons ABV: 41.3% Cost: £53.83 from Master of Malt Score: 86/100 What they say: A 14 year old, triple distilled Irish single malt whiskey from the Tullamore DEW range, which has been finished in bourbon, […]
- Tullamore DEW Cider Cask ~ 40% (William Grant & Sons) - Review: Tullamore D.E.W. Cider Cask Finish Category: Irish Blended Whiskey Origin: Midleton Distillery Bottling: William Grant & Sons ABV: 40% Cost: €54 Score: 85/100 What they say: Once a year, this finely balanced, sophisticated spirit is created in the heart of Ireland. It is a marriage between the craft of small-batch cider-making and our legendary […]