Redbreast 1999 Sherry Cask TWE Exclusive (59.9%, OB, Sherry Cask #30087, 578 Bottles, 2015)
- Category: Irish single pot still whisky
- Origin: New Midleton Distillery
- Bottling: The Whisky Exchange
- ABV: 59.9%
- Cost: £180
What they say
This single-cask bottling of Redbreast was chosen by attendees of a special tasting at The Whisky Exchange shop in 2015. Distilled on 2 April 1999, this was aged for around 15 years, resulting in a rich and complex whiskey with notes of vanilla, coffee and wood spice.
What I say
Many thanks to Tom @TomsWhiskyReviews for sharing this official sample from Redbreast, this expression was fully matured in a single sherry butt #30087 and produced 576 bottles at outturn. Declared as colouring added by TWE?
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark ruby gold (16/20), medium sized tears leave fine legs
- Nose: Spirity and spicy initially, deep dried dark and red fruits; raisin, prune, berries, plum, cherry, fig, date, suede leather, honey, vanilla, coconut, strawberry balsamic vinegar.
- Taste: Rich treacle, fruit cake mix, molasses, caramelised demerara sugar, cherry lips & strawberry laces sweeties, raisins, leather, spiced cinnamon & black pepper, aged oak wood, tannic stewed tea, fig, date, cocoa, nutty walnuts and walnut wood
- Finish: Medium-long, spiced dried fruits with rubbery hints & mince pies
Rich and robust, spiced Oloroso sherry fruits plenty of raisins served in a metallic copper bowl indicating both heavy sherry influence but good retention of pot still whisky character.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review