Redbreast 12 Years Old (40%, OB, 2017)
- Category: Irish single pot still whisky
- Origin: New Midleton Distillery
- Bottling: Jameson, Redbreast
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: £43.33
What they say
One of the most decorated Irish whiskeys, Redbreast is the largest selling Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey in the world. Regarded as the definitive expression of traditional Single Pot Still whiskey, the genesis of Redbreast dates back to 1903 when John Jameson & Son entered into an agreement with the Gilbeys Wines & Spirits Import Company to supply them with new make spirit from their Bow St. Distillery. The custom of that era was that distillers sold bulk whiskey to ‘bonders’ who, being in the business of importing fortified wines such as sherry and port, had ample supplies of empty casks in which to mature new make whiskeys under bond.
Single Pot Still whiskey is unique to Ireland in general and to the Midleton Distillery, Co. Cork, in particular, and is regarded as the quintessential style of Irish whiskey. Made from a mash of malted and unmalted barley and then triple distilled in traditional copper pot stills, Pot Still whiskeys are characterised by full, complex flavours and a wonderful creamy mouthfeel.
What I say
The 12 year old expression represents the standard or entry-level edition of Jameson’s Redbreast. This still adheres to the traditions of Irish Pot Still whiskey, made from a mixture of malted and unmalted barley that is then batch distilled / triple distilled in copper pot stills. This is then heavily matured in ex-Sherry casks for the Redbreast family of whiskeys.
Thanks to Jameson for the official sample and Christmas cake to try alongside this expression, received as a seasonal greeting.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Bright copper gold (10/20), medium-sized tears and medium legs are fairly numerous
- Nose: Spiced gingerbread, nutty unmalted barley, fruity raisins, linseed oil, caramelised sugars, toffee, crème caramel, malty barley mixed with a medley of fruits including strawberry and melon, hints of coconut ice and marshmallow
- Taste: Soft, gently fruity, fudge, nutty, marzipan, orange & lemon peel candied and or crystallized, dried fruit, raisin, a little citric and sharp in the middle with plenty of unmalted barley spice, lemon and lime juices and oak wood.
- Finish: Medium-long, creamy and gently spiced with ginger and freshly grated nutmeg, reminded me of cardamom kulfi
A lovely mixture of fruit, sweet and spices. That Irish Pot Still unmalted barley spice and bite plus a little citric or acidic juice cuts through a rich and sweet sherry influence. Superb!
Shop for Redbreast 12 Years Old (opens Master of Malt)
Don’t take my word for it:
TOModera Whisky reviews Redbreast 12 Years Old
Bloggers submit a link to your review
Leave a Reply