Glen Grant Distillery
Glen Grant was founded in 1840, by brothers John and James Grant, two former illegal distillers and smugglers who decided to take out a license. With the sea and port of Garmouth nearby, the River Spey at its feet and barley-growing plains nearby, all the basic ingredients of malt whisky were close at hand. This time the distillery was legal.
By 1872, the founders of Glen Grant Distillery had died. Young James ‘The Major’ Grant, born in 1847, had always taken a keen interest in the distillery and having inherited the business and the title ‘Glengrant’ from his uncle John Grant, he was to prove himself a worthy successor.
Stories about ‘The Major’ abound. A legendary innovator, socialiser and traveller, he lived by his own rules and set his own standards. New ideas fascinated him and he wasn’t afraid to explore them. He was the first man in the Highlands to own a car. Glen Grant was the first distillery to have electric light. And he introduced the tall slender stills and purifiers which created the fresh malty flavour and clear colour that defines Glen Grant whisky to this day.
In 1931, Major Grant, the last Glengrant, died, survived by his three daughters and a distillery that had become one of the most famous in the world. Douglas MacKessack, his grandson, was to become his successor.
In 1972, the Glenlivet and Glen Grant Distilleries Ltd amalgamated with the blending concerns of Hill, Thomson and Co.Ltd and Longmorn Distilleries Ltd to become The Glenlivet Distillers Ltd. The original family interest in the distilleries was maintained, with two substantial outside shareholders: Courage Ltd, the brewing concern and Suntory Ltd, the Japanese distilling company.
In 2006, Campari acquired Glen Grant, its only whisky, when Allied Domecq was acquired by Pernod Ricard. To this day, Glen Grant continues to be one of the biggest selling single malts worldwide.
Glen Grant Whisky Reviews:
- Glen Grant 16 Years Old 1997 9.75 Imperial Leather in a boat chandlery ~ 55.3% (SMWS) - Glen Grant 16 Years Old 1997 – 9.75 Imperial Leather in a boat chandlery 55.3% ABV, outturn 285 bottles, £53 for 70cl (Glen Grant) Score: 49/100 What they say: Cask No. 9.75 The nose seemed rounded and attractive – dusty hay and pepper on mashed banana – something reminiscent of a boat chandlery (wood, canvas, brass) […]
- Glen Grant 1954 Rare Vintage ~ 40% (Gordon & MacPhail) - Review: Glen Grant 1954 Rare Vintage Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky Origin: Glen Grant Distillery Bottling: Gordon & MacPhail Rare Vintage ABV: 40% Cost: £1167.76 from Master of Malt Score: 93/100 What they say: Colour Golden amber. Body Full Finish Long and fruity. Cask Type 1st Fill Sherry Casks Style After dinner dram. Tasting […]
- Glen Grant 21 Years Old 1992 – Old Particular ~ 51.5% (Douglas Laing) - Glen Grant 21 Years Old 1992 – Old Particular (Douglas Laing) 51.5% ABV, £92.09 from Master of Malt Score: 88/100 What they (Master of Malt) say: This Glen Grant single malt Scotch whisky was distilled in 1992, long before the distillery was bought by Campari in 2006. Grab a piece of history, expertly bottled by Douglas […]
- Glen Grant 22 Years Old 1992 [Cask 130800]- Celebration of the cask ~ 55.7% (Carn Mor) - Glen Grant 22 Years Old 1992 [Cask 130800]- Celebration of the cask (Carn Mor) 55.7% ABV, £86.50 for 70cl Score: 87/100 What they say: Single malt Glen Grant Scotch whisky, distilled in October 1992, matured in a single bourbon barrel for 22 years until February 2014, when it was bottled by Càrn Mòr as part […]
- Glen Grant 23 Years Old 1990 9.95 Playful popping in a fruit market ~ 53.6% (SMWS) - Whisky review of Scotch Malt Whisky Society Cask 9.95 Playful popping in a fruit market Glen Grant 23 Years Old 1990single malt scotch whisky
- Glen Grant 25 Years Old 1988 9.88 A heart-starter ~ 55.3% (SMWS) - Glen Grant 25 Years Old 1988 – 9.88 A heart-starter Single malt scotch whisky 55.3% ABV, £99 for 70cl Score: 87/100 What they say: Cask No. 9.88 Little aroma beyond ‘dry’ to start with: very dried fruits, dried out leather, ash, soot, but soon opens to present fruitcake mix, ‘over-steeped jasmine tea’, toasted Brazil nuts, […]