Region: Highland, Scotland
Owner: Beam Suntory
Output: 5.5 million litres per annum
Ardmore distillery is a single malt Scotch whisky distillery. The distillery is owned and operated by Beam Suntory, an American subsidiary of Suntory Holdings of Osaka, Japan. The distillery was built in 1898 by William Teacher’s son, Adam, to secure fillings for their blend, Teacher’s Highland Cream (of which it remains the principal component). Set deep in the farmland of “the Garioch”, near the River Bogie and the village Kennethmont, Huntly, Aberdeenshire. Two stills were added in 1955, and four more in 1974, for a total of eight. The distillery had its own maltings until the mid-1970s, and its own cooperage until the late 1980s. Until early 2001 it used coal to fire the stills.
Ardmore Traditional Cask was the distillery’s single malt. It was bottled at 46% ABV, in bottles embossed with an image of a golden eagle. Unlike many single malts, barrier filtering, rather than chill filtering was used. Ardmore Traditional Cask was superseded by Ardmore Legacy in 2014, with ABV reduced to 40% and chill filtration used. This was a slightly controversial move, as many whisky enthusiasts prefer barrier-only filtration and the higher ABV, both of which help to preserve more of the malt’s character and flavour. Ardmore Traditional Cask will be re-launched in early 2015 as Ardmore Tradition and will continue to be 46% ABV, and be only barrier filtered. Also due for release in 2015 are Triple Wood and Port Wood expressions, both bottled at 46% ABV and barrier filtered only.
Ardmore Whisky Reviews:
- Ardmore 10 Years Old 2004 66.76 Guilty pleasure ~ 61% (SMWS) - Review: Ardmore 10 Years Old 2004 – 66.76 Guilty pleasure Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Ardmore Distillery Bottling: Scotch Malt Whisky Society Cask 66.76 Guilty pleasure ABV: 61.0% Cost: £47.00 from SMWS Score: 86/100 What they say: 66.76 Guilty pleasure Cask No. 66.76 Aromas immediately jumped out of the glass, macerated blueberries, strawberries […]
- Ardmore 12 Years Old 2001 66.60 Caribbean wedding on the beach ~ 56.5% (SMWS) - Ardmore 12 Years Old 2001 – 66.60 Caribbean wedding on the beach 56.5% ABV, £46 for 70cl Score: 83/100 What they say: Swathes of white floral notes mingled with sandy feet washed in the sea and a damped down beach camp. Crisp green salad of rocket and tomatoes, and soor plooms gave ozone freshness along […]
- Ardmore 16 Years Old 1997 – Small Batch ~ 55.2% (Cadenhead’s) - Review: Ardmore 16 Years Old 1997 – Cadenhead Small Batch Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Ardmore Distillery Bottling: Cadenhead Small Batch ABV: 55.2% Cost: £55 for 70cl Score: 85/100 What they say: Distilled in 1997 and bottled at 16 years old in 2013, this Ardmore was bourbon matured and produced 552 bottle at outturn […]
- Ardmore 1996 – Distillery Labels ~ 43% (Gordon & MacPhail) - Review: Ardmore 1996 – Distillery Labels Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Ardmore Distillery Bottling: Gordon & MacPhail – Distillery Labels ABV: 43% Cost: £61.84 from Master of Malt Score: 85/100 What they say: COLOUR Dark Gold. Body Medium. Finish Long, smooth with hint of smoke. Cask Type Refill Sherry Hogsheads. Style Robust Highland Single […]
- Ardmore Traditional Cask ~ 46% (Suntory) - Ardmore Traditional Cask ~ 46% (Beam/Suntory) 46% ABV, £30 for 70cl Score: 76/100 What they say: The 2007 release of this ‘Traditional Cask’ was the first official single malt from the Ardmore distillery, this is a young whisky, but it was aged in quarter casks, which proffers a speedy maturation thus discounting its youth. […]