Region: Highland, Scotland
Owner: Beam Suntory
Output: 5.5 million litres per annum
Ardmore distillery is a single malt Scotch whisky distillery. The distillery is owned and operated by Beam Suntory, an American subsidiary of Suntory Holdings of Osaka, Japan. The distillery was built in 1898 by William Teacher’s son, Adam, to secure fillings for their blend, Teacher’s Highland Cream (of which it remains the principal component). Set deep in the farmland of “the Garioch”, near the River Bogie and the village Kennethmont, Huntly, Aberdeenshire. Two stills were added in 1955, and four more in 1974, for a total of eight. The distillery had its own maltings until the mid-1970s, and its own cooperage until the late 1980s. Until early 2001 it used coal to fire the stills.
Ardmore Traditional Cask was the distillery’s single malt. It was bottled at 46% ABV, in bottles embossed with an image of a golden eagle. Unlike many single malts, barrier filtering, rather than chill filtering was used. Ardmore Traditional Cask was superseded by Ardmore Legacy in 2014, with ABV reduced to 40% and chill filtration used. This was a slightly controversial move, as many whisky enthusiasts prefer barrier-only filtration and the higher ABV, both of which help to preserve more of the malt’s character and flavour. Ardmore Traditional Cask will be re-launched in early 2015 as Ardmore Tradition and will continue to be 46% ABV, and be only barrier filtered. Also due for release in 2015 are Triple Wood and Port Wood expressions, both bottled at 46% ABV and barrier filtered only.
Ardmore Whisky Reviews:
- Ardmore 10 Years Old 2004 66.76 Guilty pleasure (61%, SMWS, White Wine HH, 274 Bottles, 2015) - Review: Ardmore 10 Years Old 2004 – 66.76 Guilty pleasure Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Ardmore Distillery Bottling: Scotch Malt Whisky Society Cask 66.76 Guilty pleasure ABV: 61.0% Cost: £47.00 […]
- Ardmore 12 Years Old 2001 66.60 Caribbean wedding on the beach (56.5%, SMWS, Refill Bourbon, 228 Bottles, 2014) - Ardmore 12 Years Old 2001 – 66.60 Caribbean wedding on the beach 56.5% ABV, £46 for 70cl Score: 83/100 What they say: Swathes of white floral notes mingled with sandy feet washed […]
- Ardmore 16 Years Old 1997 Small Batch (55.2%, Cadenheads, Bourbon Casks, 552 Bottles, 2013) - Review: Ardmore 16 Years Old 1997 – Cadenhead Small Batch Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Ardmore Distillery Bottling: Cadenhead Small Batch ABV: 55.2% Cost: £55 for 70cl Score: 85/100 What they […]
- Ardmore 1996 (43%, G&M, Distillery Labels, 2013) - Review: Ardmore 1996 – Distillery Labels Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Ardmore Distillery Bottling: Gordon & MacPhail – Distillery Labels ABV: 43% Cost: £61.84 from Master of Malt Score: 85/100 What […]
- Ardmore 8 Years Old 2009 Great Drams Exclusive (46%, Douglas Laing, Refill HH, 299 Bottles, 2017) - Whisky Review: Ardmore 8 Years Old GreatDrams Exclusive Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Ardmore Distillery Bottling: Douglas Laing bottled for GreatDrams ABV: 46% Cost: £50.00 buy from GreatDrams What they say: […]
- Ardmore Traditional Cask (46%, OB, +/-2014) - Ardmore Traditional Cask ~ 46% (Beam/Suntory) 46% ABV, £30 for 70cl Score: 76/100 What they say: The 2007 release of this ‘Traditional Cask’ was the first official single malt from the […]