- Founded: 1898
- Status: Operational
- Region: Highland, Scotland – Kennethmont, Aberdeenshire AB54 4NH +44(0)1464 831213
- Online: https://www.ardmorewhisky.com/
History: Ardmore distillery is a single malt Scotch whisky distillery. The distillery is owned and operated by Beam Suntory, an American subsidiary of Suntory Holdings of Osaka, Japan. The distillery was built in 1898 by William Teacher’s son, Adam, to secure fillings for their blend, Teacher’s Highland Cream (of which it remains the principal component). Set deep in the farmland of “the Garioch”, near the River Bogie and the village Kennethmont, Huntly, Aberdeenshire. Two stills were added in 1955, and four more in 1974, for a total of eight. The distillery had its own maltings until the mid-1970s, and its own cooperage until the late 1980s. Until early 2001 it used coal to fire the stills.
Ardmore Traditional Cask was the distillery’s single malt. It was bottled at 46% ABV, in bottles embossed with an image of a golden eagle. Unlike many single malts, barrier filtering, rather than chill filtering was used. Ardmore Traditional Cask was superseded by Ardmore Legacy in 2014, with ABV reduced to 40% and chill filtration used. This was a slightly controversial move, as many whisky enthusiasts prefer barrier-only filtration and the higher ABV, both of which help to preserve more of the malt’s character and flavour. Ardmore Traditional Cask will be re-launched in early 2015 as Ardmore Tradition and will continue to be 46% ABV, and be only barrier filtered. Also due for release in 2015 are Triple Wood and Port Wood expressions, both bottled at 46% ABV and barrier filtered only.
The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Ardmore Traditional Cask (2014) - Ardmore Traditional Cask Ardmore Traditional Cask ~ 46% (Beam/Suntory) 46% ABV, £30 for 70cl Score: 76/100 What they say: The 2007 release of this ‘Traditional Cask’ was the first official single malt […]
- Ardmore 16 Years Old 1997 Small Batch (2014) - Ardmore 16 Years Old 1997 Small Batch (55.2%, Cadenheads, Bourbon Casks, 552 Bottles, 2013) Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Ardmore Distillery Bottling: Cadenhead Small Batch ABV: 55.2% Cost: £55 for […]
- Ardmore 8 Years Old 2009 Great Drams Exclusive (2017) - Ardmore 8 Years Old 2009 Great Drams Exclusive (46%, Douglas Laing, Refill HH, 299 Bottles, 2017) Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Ardmore Distillery Bottling: Douglas Laing bottled for GreatDrams ABV: 46% […]
- Ardmore 14 Years Old 2000 Old Particular 10593 (2020) - Ardmore 14 Years Old 2000 Old Particular whisky review: Quite gentle and reserved with a nice dry minerality, overall lemon/vanilla and highland peat predominate, educational. 83/100
- Ardmore 16 Years Old 2000 Old Particular 11168 (2020) - Ardmore 16 Years Old 2000 Old Particular Whisky Review: Another quite light dram from a refill barrel, perhaps tamed a little more and some better developed fruit flavours arising, a little spiced in places, what it gains in fruit from the 14 Year Old 2000 expression however it loses in peat/smoke influence. 83/100
Gordon & MacPhail
- Ardmore 1996 Distillery Labels (2016) - Ardmore 1996 Distillery Labels Whisky Review Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Ardmore Distillery Bottling: Gordon & MacPhail – Distillery Labels ABV: 43% Cost: £61.84 Score: 85/100 What they say: COLOUR Dark […]
- Ardmore 9 Years Old 2008 Mossburn No. 6 (2021) - An eclectic mix of soft Highland heather brush smoke or beech wood smoke which transitions into diluted Islay peat smoke and coastal influences.
Scotch Malt Whisky Society
- SMWS 66.60 Caribbean wedding on the beach (2014) - Ardmore 12 Years Old 2001 66.60 Caribbean wedding on the beach (56.5%, SMWS, Refill Bourbon, 228 Bottles, 2014) 56.5% ABV, £46 for 70cl Score: 83/100 What they say: Swathes of white floral […]
- SMWS 66.76 Guilty pleasure (2015) - Ardmore 10 Years Old 2004 66.76 Guilty pleasure (61%, SMWS, White Wine HH, 274 Bottles, 2015) Whisky Review Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Ardmore Distillery Bottling: Scotch Malt Whisky Society […]