St George’s is the home to The English Whisky Co. The beautiful distillery was designed and built by the Nelstrop family for the specific purpose of producing the very finest English Single Malt Whisky.
Why England and more specifically Why Roudham, Norfolk? Well, there are only two main ingredients in whisky, barley and water and we have them both. We draw the purest, cleanest water from the Breckland aquifer deep beneath our distillery. Norfolk is one of the world’s premier growing barley regions, so our supply is plentiful and local.
The only other thing needed to create the very best malt whisky is oak casks. We don’t add colour, we don’t add flavour, we let the barrels do that for us, so we have to buy only the very finest oak casks. Most of ours are supplied by direct from America, having first been used for the maturation of bourbon. We also mature in sherry casks, and various other wine casks.
Our whisky is batch made by hand with no computers, filled into casks and then left to sleep until our distillers consider it perfect for bottling, which of course we do by hand – one bottle at a time.
We are really proud of these things and believe you will taste the difference too.
The Whiskyphiles tasting notes:
- The English 11 Years Old (2020) - The English 11 Years Old Whisky Review: Similar to their 'Original' expression this is more of an every day drinker kind of whisky, starting to become a little drier and spicy for my palate but still a great benchmark of The English Whisky Company's spirit. 83/100
- The English Original Single Malt Whisky (2020) - The English Original Single Malt Whisky Whisky Review: A rather accomplished expression, perhaps a touch woody in places but balanced by that lovely fruity spirit character which has started to become tropical as well as sweet on the palate. Masses of vanilla ice-cream make this a real dessert-style whisky. Very enjoyable. 83/100
- The English Small Batch Release (2020) - The English Small batch Release Rum Cask Matured whisky review: Quite sweet on the nose, gets a little woodier with more brown sugars on the palate. A very nice Rum cask matured expression that keeps plenty of distillery character. 84/100
- The English Smokey Single Malt Whisky (2020) - The English Smokey Single Malt Whisky Whisky Review: A superb smokey dram full of buttery cereal barley and that distinct fruit spirit character tempered with masses of Vanilla from Bourbon barrel maturation. The result is a reminiscent of childhood summers so hot that the tarmac melted and so did your ice-cream - but then you could pop the tar bubbles with your lolly stick! 86/100
- The English Whisky Co. Chapter 14 (2014) - Chapter 14 ~ 46% (The English Whisky Co.) 46% ABV, £44.95 for 70cl Score: 84/100 What they say: Classic Single Malt Whisky – Chapter 14 Chapter 14 46% ABV New Release – […]
- The English Whisky Co. Chapter 16 (2017) - The English Whisky Co. Chapter 16 (46%, OB, 1178 Bottles, 2014) Category: Single Malt English Whisky Origin: St. George’s Distillery Bottling: The English Whisky Co. ABV: 46% Cost: £49.99 What they say: […]
- The Norfolk Farmers (2017) - The Norfolk Farmers (40%, English Whisky Co., 2016) Category: English Grain Whisky Origin: St George’s Distillery Bottling: The English Whisky Company ABV: 45% Cost: £45.77 What they say: The Norfolk – Farmers. […]