The English Small Batch Release Rum Cask Matured (46%, OB, Cask B2/293, 2020)
- ABV: 46%
- Age: 6 years Old
- Bottling: OB
- Category: English single malt whisky
- Cost: £47.50
- Origin: St. George’s Distillery
- Vintage: 2014
What they say
There is nothing more reassuring in any down time, to see an old favourite back on the shelf. Originally known as chapter 7, and these days quite a bit older and far more refined, our small batch rum cask single malt whisky has been hand bottled by the team to keep you company in these trying times. “This whisky still reminds me of rum and raisin ice cream” says Andrew Nelstrop, Chairman.
Official tasting notes:
- Nose: Sweet, soft & slightly spicy. A mixture of vanilla and rum and raisin ice cream, fresh and citrusy with a notes of tropical fruits. Oaky and slightly nutty with a hint of marzipan.
- Taste: Soft, oily and spicy, again with citrus notes. The spice is slightly peppery with a hint of raisins. Malty with fresh oak. Salty and dry on the finish.
What I say
Batch 2/293, distilled March 2014 and Bottled march 2020, sampled during the #EnglishWhisky Tweet tasting hosted by Sorren @OCDWhisky and @EnglishWhisky for St George’s Day 2020.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Champagne gold (4/20), large tears and thick legs.
- Nose: Vanilla, cream pastries, apple turnovers well coated with icing sugar, woodier and browner sugars too, keeps getting sweeter, powdery like floral talc and sweet candy shops combined, powdered coconut, white chocolate bounty bars
- Taste: Medium-bodied, slightly zestier and oilier than anticipated, butter, creamed coconut and a touch of lime zest, biscuity cereals, a little over polished oak wood hints at youthful spirit, apple, pear, Sicilian lemon Mascarpone ice cream, Clove oil.
- Finish: Medium sweet, buttercream icing, dusting of cinnamon and mentholic like anise hyssop or sage.
Quite sweet on the nose, gets a little woodier with more brown sugars on the palate. A very nice Rum cask matured expression that keeps plenty of distillery character.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: St Georges
1 reply »