- Founded: 1845
- Status: Operational
- Region: Highland, Scotland
- Online: https://www.malts.com/en-row/distilleries/royal-lochnagar/
History The first Lochnagar distillery was burnt down in suspicious circumstances in 1824 and a replacement again burnt down in 1841. In 1845 John Begg built the “new” Lochnagar. The distillery was awarded its Royal Warrant in 1848 when John Begg invited Prince Albert to visit the distillery from the nearby Balmoral Castle, the Queen’s residence in the Highlands. The next day the distillery was visited by Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and their children.
The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Royal Lochnagar 12 Years Old (2014) - Royal Lochnagar 12 Years Old (40%, OB, 2014) Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Royal Lochnagar Distillery Bottling: Diageo ABV: 40% ABV Cost: 34.43 Score: 84/100 What they say: Royal Lochnagar […]
- Royal Lochnagar 1998 Distillers Edition (2016) - Royal Lochnagar 1998 Distillers Edition (40%, OB, RL/98-10U, 2011) Whisky Review Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Royal Lochnagar Distillery Bottling: Diageo; Distillers Edition ABV: 40% Cost: £59.83 What they say: […]
- Royal Lochnagar 2019 Distillery Exclusive (2020) - Royal Lochnagar 2019 Distillery Exclusive whisky review: Rich and malty, gently spiced throughout - a pretty fair representation of Lochnagar's output, if you're a fan (like me) then you wont be disappointed with this one. Also this is likely the forerunner for their 175th anniversary celebration in 2020, another good reason to make the trip to Royal Lochnagar distillery this year!
- Royal Lochnagar 26 Years Old 1994 The Sleeping Beauty (2021) - Malty Lochnagar meets dried fruit and spice from the Sherry cask. redolent of Christmas time, mince pies and puddings, nice earthy dark fruits too such as blackberry and brambles. 90/100
- Royal Lochnagar Triple Matured (2018) - Wonderfully complex with a rather odd flavour profile, perhaps too much oak wood, light sherry and berries, but overall I really liked this one! 87/100