Royal Lochnagar 2019 Distillery Exclusive (48%, OB, 5004 Bottles, 2019)
- ABV: 48%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB, Diageo
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £85
- Origin: Royal Lochnagar distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
See press release here:
Official tasting notes:
The nose opens notes of spice, citrus and wood, alongside hints of burnt sugars and a gentle nuttiness. Over time, the flavours open up, revealing a presence of vanilla, green apple, orange zest and aromatic spice. On the palate, there is an immediate sweetness, alongside warming wood spice and notes of green apple. Vanilla and toffee characters emerge after a few moments, giving a medium finish that is both warming and lingering. With water, those green apple and orchard fruits become more pronounced, alongside notes of burnt cocoa and candy floss.
What I say
The 2019 distillery exclusive bottling for Royal Lochnagar distillery near Balmoral in the Highlands. Matured in European oak and refill casks this is presented at 48% with no age statement or vintage. Limited run of 5004 bottles.
This post was sponsored by Diageo by provision of a sample of this product.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Full amber gold (10/20), medium, rounded droplets, medium legs.
- Nose: Sweet and richly malty, heather honey, apple and plum compote, woody sugars and spices, orange zest and oil, honey roast cashew nut.
- Taste: Medium-full bodied, malt and heather honey, sharp citric orange zest, orange barley sugars, toffee, vanilla pods and a pinch of cinnamon, fruity green apple and plum, a hint of sweet spearmint.
- Finish: Long, honey sweet, gently spiced, fruit and barley
Rich and malty, gently spiced throughout – a pretty fair representation of Lochnagar’s output, if you’re a fan (like me) then you wont be disappointed with this one. Also this is likely the forerunner for their 175th anniversary celebration in 2020, another good reason to make the trip to Royal Lochnagar distillery this year!
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt