Glasgow 1770 The Original Single Malt Whisky
1. What they say
Glasgow 1770 is our signature single malt and demonstrates our commitment to authenticity and quality, realising our mission as contemporary urban distillers. Honouring the heritage of single malt distilling in Glasgow by using the date 1770, paying homage to the original foundation of Glasgow Distillery, before it’s closure in the 20th Century.
Glasgow 1770 Single Malt Scotch Whisky, The Original, is the whisky that started it all. Our inaugural expression, The Original is a fresh and fruity single malt that combines the finest concerto malted barley with the purest Scottish water from Loch Katrine.
A minimum of 72 hours of fermentation combined with an extremely slow distillation results in a fruity and delectably sweet new make spirit which is then matured in first fill ex-bourbon casks before a finishing period in virgin American oak barrels.
Bottled at 46% ABV, non-chill filtered and natural in colour, The Original is a true representation of the whisky we produce at The Glasgow Distillery and showcases our production philosophy and dedication to quality. This is a remarkably fruity and smooth single malt with notes of red berries, vanilla, pear and honey with a long spicy finish.https://www.glasgowdistillery.com/our-spirits/1770-whisky
2. Official tasting notes
- NOSE Dried dark fruits with tropical undertones on the nose, followed by hints of biscuit, oak and freshly cut grass.
- PALATE Sweet butterscotch with a crème brulee char on the pallet. Hints of freshly sliced pear, dried figs, dates and raisin with sweet almond, honey and creamy shortbread notes.
- FINISH A long finish of thickly spread orange marmalade, nutmeg notes underpinned by complex woodiness and a slight spice.
- ABV 46%
- Age NAS
- Bottler OB
- Bottling The Original
- Cask Bourbon and Virgin Oak
- Category Single malt scotch whisky
- Cost £50
- Origin Glasgow Distillery
- Region Lowland
- Released 2022
4. What I say
The Original expression from Glasgow Distillery’s 1770 range. This comprises their unpeated single malt distillate matured in ex-bourbon and finished in virgin American oak barrels. Sampled during the #GlasgowDistillery Tweet Tasting hosted by Steve @TheWhiskyWire.
5. The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Colour Sauternes gold (7/20), medium-large, oily tears and medium-fine legs.
- Nose Sweet and fruity, fresh, apples, pears and candy floss, some citrus clementine, lemon and lime, vanilla, a little custard, heather honey and some cereal malt, creamy coffee and creamy green peppercorn sauce
- Taste Medium-bodied, sharper on the palate, lemon sherbet, marzipan, sour apple sweeties, slightly fizzy, some woody oak and vanilla, becoming creamy, pencil shavings, clove and nutmeg.
- Finish Medium, sharp and woody notes persist
As described Fresh and Fruity, lovely distillate notes shine through with just a hint of perhaps too much virgin oak (pencil shavings) but otherwise a very enjoyable dram.