1. What they say
TULLIBARDINE’S SIGNATURE SINGLE MALT HAS BEEN MATURED IN FIRST-FILL EX-BOURBON BARRELS.https://www.tullibardine.com/signature-range.html
2. Official tasting notes
THE SOVEREIGN IS BEAUTIFULLY GOLDEN WITH ITS FLORAL, SWEET BARLEY NOTES AND SUBTLE HINTS OF VANILLA. ON THE FINISH THERE IS FUDGE, PEAR DROPS AND SOFT SPICE.
- ABV 43%
- Age NAS
- Bottler OB
- Bottling Sovereign
- Cask Bourbon
- Category Single malt scotch whisky
- Cost £35
- Origin Tullibardine Distillery
- Region Highland
- Released 2013
4. What I say
I recently took part in a festive and virtual tour and tasting with Tullibardine distillery including a run through examples from their signature range via their Tasting collection set. The focus of the tasting was based around food pairing and exploring the versatility of the Tullibardine core range. We started with their entry-level all bourbon matured Sovereign expression, matured for around 6-8 years but carried no age statement.
5. The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Colour Bright amber gold (8/20), oily, medium-large tears and legs.
- Nose Sweet cereal and citrus, dusty and fruity, juicy oranges and lemons, malted milk biscuits, touch of pear drops esters and bubblegum, later some ripe banana and vanilla cream.
- Taste Medium-bodied, oily and buttery, smooth on the palate, St. Clements cake, some soft cinnamon, oak wood, cabinet varnish, orange zest, vanilla and toasted coconut hints.
- Finish Medium, drying and a touch spicy and zesty, become mouth-watering.
Good texture and rounded with a good balance between fruit and oak wood before drier and spicier elements add interest. Perhaps a shade of spirit nature belies the youthfulness on the palate.