Fettercairn 16 Years Old 2nd Release 2021
1. What they say
Following the success of the inaugural Fettercairn 16 Years Old last year, the distillery has today announced the release of its successor. The annual series celebrates different maturation stories, whilst continuing to showcase the distillery’s tropical style achieved from the distinctive copper cooling ring distillation process.
This latest release unites both Sherry-matured and Sherry-finished casks to create a truly refined, balanced yet classic combination of rare Fettercairn and Sherry styles. The hand-selected casks from a small, family run Bodega in Jerez include first fill Oloroso, refill Oloroso and first fill aged Palo Cortado Sherry butts, which marry together seamlessly to enhance the distinctive distillery character.
These rare, never to be repeated casks were selected with a focus on retaining the natural beauty and balance of the Fettercairn tropical house style, while taking on the bold sweetness of the dark and nutty Oloroso. This is complemented by refined vanilla and citrus notes from the aged Palo Cortado butts, which add complexity and depth to the ripe exotic fruit characters typically found in the Fettercairn spirit when it reaches its mid-late teens.
Bottled at 46.4%, natural in colour and non-chill filtered, this 16 Years Old boasts rich honey and bronzed hues. On the nose, sugared almonds, dried fruit and aged wood feature harmoniously, whilst on the palate, a myriad of Alphonso mango, rich citrus zest and apricots are balanced with walnut, coffee and liquorice notes giving way to salted caramel, sandalwood and iced ginger cake on the finish.
Gregg Glass, Master Whisky Maker, said, “This one-off Fettercairn 16 Years Old limited edition was borne from fully-matured Sherry casks combined with hand-selected, rare and old, Oloroso and Palo Cortado Sherry butts. For me, this was about retaining the natural beauty and balance of our Fettercairn tropical house style while elevating the pure beauty and refinement of select, aged Palo Cortado and Oloroso casks. Combining these elements allow us to share another aspect and dimension to our truly unique warehouse stocks at Fettercairn.”
Kirsteen Beeston, Head of International Malts at Whyte and Mackay, said, “The enthusiasm and love we saw for our first 16 Years Old reinforced our desire to create whiskies inspired by our enlightened whisky making philosophy. This 16 Years Old reveals finely balanced tropical and soft spice flavours and showcases the approach we take to making single malt. This time around, we’ve called on rare Palo Cortado which is an elegantly dry Sherry alongside the dark richness of Oloroso, to add a special flair to this single malt and showcase the excellent maturation expertise coupled with the ripe tropical distillery character when the spirit reaches the late teen years. We are confident that this year’s 16 Years Old will be another Fettercairn release that excites and enthrals whisky drinkers.”
Fettercairn 16 Years Old is available across Europe including France, UK, the Netherlands, Germany Belgium from December, extending to Global Travel Retail and key Asia markets into 2022, at an RSP of £69. The GTR edition will be in 1L formats with an RSP of £79.
2. Official tasting notes
- Colour: Amber honey with soft harvest highlights
- Taste: Vanilla and ginger, with sun-kissed raisins
- Finish: Succulent peach, ginger and caramel gives way to banana, with chocolate and demerara sugar delivering a perfect finish.
- ABV 46.4%
- Age 16 Years Old
- Bottler OB Whyte & Mackay
- Bottling 2nd Release
- Cask Sherry
- Category Single malt scotch whisky
- Cost £64.95 from The Whisky Exchange £65 from The Whisky Shop
- Origin Fettercairn Distillery
- Outturn n/a
- Region Highland
- Released 2021
- Vintage Undisclosed
4. What I say
The 2nd release of Fettercairn’s 16 Year Old expression was launched in 2021 and features use of various Sherry casks within its construction.
5. The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Colour: Dark orange gold (11/20), medium tears and legs.
- Nose: Fruity and dusty, chalky, Edinburgh Rock, musty, fruit rinds and peels, apple, pear, deeper and woodier spices, sandalwood, straw/hay, orange zest and dried mango pieces.
- Taste: Medium-bodied, spiced honey, softens on the palate, gingerbread, oatmeal, followed by lots of orange zest and oil, even freshly squeezed orange juice, some lemon, banana, tropical, mango, pineapple, touch citrus zest with cinnamon and white pepper.
- Finish: Medium, lime zest and honey, flapjack, pineapple and ginger.
Classic combination of citrus and ginger with spice and zest in harmony.