What they say
We’ve got the fifth batch of Jura bottled by That Boutique-y Whisky Company right here! Distilled on the island which shares its name, this Jura single malt Scotch whisky has been allowed to age for 20 years before being bottled up at 48.2% ABV. The label has taken inspiration from George Orwell’s 1984, which he wrote on the island, as well as its impressive deer population. There are significantly more than 1,984 deer on Jura, in case you thought the book might have been about 1,984 deer. That would be a pretty good book, though. Maybe not better than the actual 1984, but still.
Batch 5 is a release of 901 bottles.
Official tasting notes
- Nose: Rock pools, lemon peel and a little gingerbread, with notes of dried grass, tropical fruit and vanilla.
- Palate: Honey-drenched orchard fruits, sweet honey and toasted almonds, then baking spice and coastal elements.
- Finish: Buttered brown bread and orange oil.
What I say
Boutique-Y’s batch 5 Jura comes in at 20 years old and just a shade over 100 notes (in the UK). As a bit of a Jura fan I was delighted to discover this in the 2021 Boutique-Y whisky advent calendar (available at Master of Malt!).
- ABV 48.2%
- Age 20 Years Old
- Bottler That Boutique-Y Whisky Company
- Bottling Batch 5
- Cask Undislcosed
- Category Single malt scotch whisky
- Cost £101.95
- Origin Jura Distillery
- Outturn 901 bottles
- Region Island
- Released 2021
- Vintage undisclosed
My tasting notes
- Appearance Old gold (11/20), thick legs and large, quick tears.
- Nose Musty and dusty, apple skin and mast, old leather, touch of salinity, salted caramel, dry milled barley flour, lemon citrus, sharp, beach/seaside, sea-salted nut brittle and toffee-nut latte coffee.
- Taste Medium-bodied, juicy, orange, apple, lemon, chocolate orange, salted peanut brittle, caramel, woody old oak, white pear, vanilla, leathery old books, toffee latte, gingerbread and some sweeter herbs, thyme and sage.
- Finish Touch spirity, lemon juice, green apple, vaporous and some spicy lime pickle and zest.
- Overall A rather relaxed old Jura, I’m thinking refill casks here as the spirit still shines through with lime zest, lime pickle and soft coffee notes, coastal salts and barley cereals, Yum yum.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Leave a Reply