What they say
It’s That Boutique-y Whisky Company’s very first bottling of Finnish single malt whisky from the Teerenpeli Distillery in Lahti! Released for the Wine Cask Series, this one has been aged in a Spanish ex-Oloroso sherry cask for five years. The label shows Jari from the distillery driving a Zamboni, helping to clear the streets in front of the shops, that are inside shipping containers (perhaps a reference to how the distillery matures its barrels in shipping containers…).
Batch 1 is a release of 448 bottles.
Official tasting notes
- Nose: Fruit cake, gingerbread, and almond biscuits. Baked goods galore!
- Palate: Red liquorice, orange boiled sweets, malty vanilla and a touch of sponge cake.
- Finish: A touch of cinnamon and burnt sugar on the finish.
What I say
Released as part of That Boutique-Y Whisky Company’s Wine Cask series. This whisky was distilled at Teerenpeeli distillery in Finland and matured in an ex-Oloroso sherry cask for 5 years before bottling at 47.6% ABV. This is my first sampling from Teerenpeeli distillery thanks to TBWC’s diverse cask ranges they have released steadily throughout this year.
- ABV 47.6%
- Age 5 Years Old
- Bottler That Boutique-Y Whisky Company
- Bottling Batch 1
- Cask Oloroso Sherry
- Category Single malt whisky
- Cost £69.95
- Origin Teerenpeeli Distillery
- Outturn 448
- Region Finland
- Released 2021
- Vintage undisclosed
My tasting notes
- Appearance Ruby bronze (14/20), medium-large droplet tears and tapered legs.
- Nose Fruity, berries and cherries, red wine/red grape influence, good woody tannins and some mustiness, jammy strawberries and raspberries, strawberry tarts, woody oak, shortcrust pastry, sweet apple and blackcurrant, strudel.
- Taste Medium-bodied, silky and a touch stickier/syrupy, fuller fruits, later some tannins and hints of woody spices, malty, chewy sweetness, cranberry sauce and plums, clears to apple and blackcurrant but no tartness.
- Finish Long, cherry boiled sweets, soft oak tannins, leathery, brambles.
- Overall Another great wine cask example from TBWC, I’ve no feeling for the original spirit but this felt like mostly sherry cask and perhaps not too much original spirit nature – certainly for a 5yo. The result is a very enjoyable sherried whisky.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review