Jura 18 Years Old
What they say
A RICHLY FRUITY AND FULL-BODIED SINGLE MALT WHISKY FINISHED IN FRENCH RED WINE CASKS THAT LINGERS ON AND ON
On Jura, our tiny island community finds time stretched by the changing seasons and tempered by the unique microclimate. Each passing year brings its own riches.
Matured for eighteen long years in American White Oak ex bourbon barrels, this whisky is then beautifully enriched by superior Premier Grand Cru Classé Bordeaux red wine barriques from the South of France. The result is an incredibly rich and fruity whisky, with flavours of cooked raspberries, warm spice, rich caramel and crème anglaise.
Official tasting note
- COLOUR Rosewood gold
- NOSE Bold red fruits, toffee, crème anglaise and cinnamon
- TASTE Warm spice and rich black forest fruit, bolstered by cooked raspberries and strawberries and a hint of chocolate
- CASK FINISH Matured in American White Oak ex bourbon barrels and enhanced by a finish in Premier Grand Cru Classé Bordeaux barrels
What I say
Bottled as part of Jura’s Signature Series following the range redesign in 2018. Following on from sampling the 12 year old we have the 18 year year old expression which features a finishing period in ex-Bordeaux Red Wine Barriques. Sampled to celebrate the Jura Music Festival 2021 (Online).
- ABV 44%
- Age 18 Years Old
- Bottler Official
- Bottling Signature series
- Cask Bourbon & Wine
- Category Single malt Scotch whisky
- Cost £60
- Origin Jura Distillery
- Outturn n/a
- Region Island
- Released 2018
- Vintage Undeclared
My tasting notes
- Appearance Dark brown amber (13/20), quick, medium tears and medium-fine legs.
- Nose Sweeter than the 12yo, cocoa dust, chocolate, malty barley, dried fruit; raisin, fig, heather honey, salted caramel, cinnamon, woody oak.
- Taste Medium-full bodied, dried fruit and spice, creamy milk chocolate, coffee, cherries, black forest gateaux, woodland berry jam, rose & lemon Turkish delight, vanilla, oak wood, coal dust, freshly baked brownies and liquurice root.
- Finish Long, sweet, fruity then spiced, chocolate orange, cinnamon and gingerbread.
- Overall On paper this expression is full of great flavours but I found myself really looking for anything representative of its age. Perhaps a slightly more subdued smoke and some earthier woody spices. I feel like this one is still getting there…
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review