Jura 12 Years Old
What they say
AN INTENSE AND VIBRANT JURA WHISKY, AGED FOR 12 YEARS FOR A REASSURINGLY RICH FLAVOUR
This is Jura at its most intense and muscular, yet it remains an approachable whisky that makes the perfect accompaniment to a gathering. That’s how our tiny island community enjoys it.
Bourbon cask maturation and an aged oloroso sherry finish produce a honeyed sweetness that offer notes of warm spice, banana, soft citrus and a finish of freshly ground coffee and dark chocolate.
Official tasting note
- COLOUR Golden-hued
- NOSE Dark chocolate, honey, walnut and soft citrus
- TASTE Coffee, salted bananas, liquorice, brown sugar
- CASK FINISH Matured in American White ex bourbon barrels for 12 years and finished in Oloroso sherry casks from Jerez, Spain
What I say
Bottled as part of Jura’s Signature Series following the range redesign in 2018. The 12 year old features and Oloroso sherry cask finish after an initial ex-Bourbon maturation. Sampled to celebrate the Jura Music Festival 2021 (Online).
- ABV 40%
- Age 12 Years Old
- Bottler Official
- Bottling Signature series
- Cask Bourbon & Sherry
- Category Single malt Scotch whisky
- Cost £35
- Origin Jura Distillery
- Outturn n/a
- Region Island
- Released 2018
- Vintage Undeclared
My tasting notes
- Appearance Dark orange gold (12/20), medium-large tears and numerous medium legs.
- Nose Cereal barley malt, nutty and sweet, golden syrup, flapjack, marmalade, fruity apples and pears, apricot, dried fruit; raisins, vanilla and cinnamon, apple strudel, touch of salt and sooty smoke.
- Taste Medium-light bodied, toffee, chocolate, caramel, spiced; cinnamon, ginger, star anise, fruity; peach, pear and apricot, more chocolate, hazelnut, coffee, strudel and apple turnover pastries, apricot Danish, again finished with a touch of salted caramel and peat smoke.
- Finish Long, gently spiced and slightly herbal fruit compote, earthy chocolate and coffee.
- Overall A much cleaner presentation from Jura, certainly they have tightened up on their base bourbon cask maturation stock. I found myself wishing for a little more depth (and grime) on the palate and this is a little sweet & polished on the finish but overall a great balance and intensity.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review