Springbank 12 Years Old Cask Strength
What they say
Our 12-year-old edition, always bottled at cask strength, is a wonderfully balanced dram that boasts a smooth buttery body and rich fruity palate. Add a drop of water to release milk chocolate and vanilla notes.
Official tasting notes
- Nose: It’s reminiscent of walking in an autumn forest full of pine and chestnut trees, before returning home to the iodine of a Campbeltown malt and ending with a delicate hint of peat.
- Palate: A gorgeous richness on the palate which is balanced between citrus marmalade on toast and caramelised toasted marshmallows, not forgetting flavours of vanilla and pepper. It’s a lip licking meaty dram.
- Finish: A delicious, viscous, smooth liquid with a salty edge. It brings back memories of a ham joint which has been marinated in a rich honey sauce and slow baked in the oven.
What I say
- ABV 55.4%
- Age 12 Years Old
- Bottler Official
- Bottling Springbank 12 CS
- Cask Bourbon & Sherry
- Category Single malt Scotch whisky
- Cost £57
- Origin Springbank Distillery
- Outturn undisclosed
- Region Campbeltwon
- Released May 2021
- Vintage Undeclared
My tasting notes
- Appearance dark amber gold (12/20) oily, slow, medium-fine tears and short legs.
- Nose Toffee, butterscotch and vanilla, woody oak, cooked apple puree, orange zest, red berries and raisins, earthy chocolate and ginger root.
- Taste Zesty, fruity, baked apples and juicy fruit, orange peel, red berries, fruits of the forest jam, woody oak, cigar box, caramel (salted), chocolate, heather honey, toasted almond creme brulee, cranberry and earthy peat smoke.
- Finish Long, salty/briny, leather, zesty ginger, earthy dark chocolate, coffee grinds and peat smoke.
- Overall This is a touch more closed initially than the 10yo but full of similar notes. Interestingly this batch (Batch 21, May 2021, 55.4%) has been constructed from 50:50 bourbon:sherry casks whereas previous editions have been reported at 35:65. There is more baked fruits here and some tarter citrus and earthier cranberry present.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review