Bruichladdich Feis Ile 2021 Masterclass 1
What they say
Sunday 30th May 2021 saw Laddie HQ divert from distillery and shop to live broadcasting studio, concert venue and outdoor velodrome (if there is such a thing). It was our second virtual Feis Ile and while we missed the throng of the crowds and familiar faces in our courtyard, we hope we managed to bring a bit of the Laddie joie-de-vivre to those of you watching from home.
During our six hour live broadcast, head distiller Adam Hannett had 1.5hrs dedicated to a special masterclass. He selected six drams from the warehouse to help celebrate 20 years since Bruichladdich’s resurrection. Chosen for the momentous occasion were a series of firsts:
1) Bruichladdich Organic 2003, 57.1% abv, 2nd fill bourbon cask
Our first Organic spirit was distilled in 2003 from barley grown on Mid Coul farm in Inverness. It was the first of our progressive barley types that would ignite our deep passion for the connection between agriculture and whisky. We’ve continued to distil a large proportion of organic barley ever since, and many casks of the spirit make their way into our flagship Classic Laddie spirit.
What I say
Celebrating Bruichladdich day on 31st may during Feis Ile 2021 with a Masterclass from Head Distiller Adam Hannett. Sample #1 was the oldest, distilled in 2003 and matured for 17 years from the 1st Organic distillation run at Bruichladdich.
- ABV 57.1%
- Age 17 Years Old
- Bottler Official
- Bottling Single Cask
- Cask American Oak
- Category Single Malt Whisky
- Cost n/a
- Origin Bruichladdich Distillery
- Outturn n/a
- Region Islay
- Released Feis Ile 2021
- Vintage 2003
My tasting notes:
- Appearance White Burgundy (5/20), slow, medium-fine tears and fine legs.
- Nose Vanilla, white fruits, sharp, clean citrus, lemon and orange, soft biscuity malted barley, sharp and fresh oak wood, heather honey, sweet, floral hint of white pepper.
- Taste Medium-bodied, soft, creamy, approachable, vanilla, biscuity malt, then sharper, green apple, lime, citric lemon, toasted oak chips, orange/marmalade, heather honey, with water much fresher and fruitier, melon, white grape, peach, mineralic sea salt, boiled sweets.
- Finish Long, fresh, drying, orchard fruits and oak wood.
- Overall Super soft and approachable, this single cask organic barley from Bruichladdich is packed full of fruits bordering on tropicality, gentle malted barley and that characteristic Atlantic minerality.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review