Port Askaig 12 Years Old Spring Edition (45.8%, Elixir Distillers, 5000 Bottles, 2020)
- ABV: 45.8%
- Age: 12 Years Old
- Bottling: Elixir Distillers, Port Askaig
- Category: Islay single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £65.95 available from The Whisky Exchange
- Origin: undisclosed Islay
- Vintage: 2006/2007
What they say
The 2020 Spring Edition of Port Askaig 12 Year Old has been made with 18 ex-bourbon hogsheads from both 2006 and 2007, creating a perfect balance between sweetness and smoke.
Official tasting notes:
- The palate offers notes of lemon sherbet, peach, sooty smoke and toffee, with hints of barbecued lemons and fresh mint lingering in the finish.
What I say
Sampled during the WOLS Elixir Distillers tasting hosted by their Brand Ambassador Julie Hamilton. Dram #5 again another peaty/Islay derived expression, I had a suspicion we were moving into single malt territory after the two blended malt expressions.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Champagne gold (3/20), large tears and thick legs.
- Nose: Peat smoke leads again, more honey and barley malt, plenty of lemon oil, some fresh apples.
- Taste: Briny, iodine peaty, smoked bacon and charcoal briquettes, lemon oil, honey, toffee, citric lemon/lime zest, sea breeze with some Gorse flower/coconut.
- Finish: Long, peaty, touch of eucalyptus and mint leaf.
Another distinctly Caol Ila-esque undisclosed single malt, more backbone here with toffee and malt present and some lovely salinity and citrus zest, some bourbon cask influence even shows through, what could go wrong?
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt