Nc’nean Organic Batch 1 (46%, OB, 2020)
- ABV: 46%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £49.95
- Origin: Nc’nean distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Smooth and elegant, our whisky is easy-going and delicious however you drink it, with flavours of citrus, peach, apricot and spice.
Our whisky is made from organic Scottish barley whose natural yields and rich soils contribute depth of flavour. Our gentle fermentation and distillation accentuate the delicate, fruity flavours in the spirit. Matured in specially treated red wine and American whiskey barrels to develop our spirit’s signature body and sweetness.
Our whisky makes a big impression with the smallest footprint. Every bottle is certified organic, made in our 100% renewable energy distillery and bottled in a 100% recycled glass bottle.
46% abv / 70cl. Non-chill filtered. Natural colour.
What I say
Dram #2 from Water of Life Society Tasting 104 Unconventional Tasting. Following on from the Organic theme was the inaugural single malt whisky from the new Nc’nean distillery pioneering sustainable whisky production.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Light orange gold (4/20), slow, thick tears and thick legs.
- Nose: Polished oak wood, estery, acetone, pear drop sweeties, some cereal malted barley, more oak wood, orange zest, a little beery/yeasty with time.
- Taste: Creamy and vanillic, American cream soda, gentle fruits, pear, pear tart or sorbet later apricot and peach, custard, biscuity malt.
- Finish: Long, spiced, zesty with white pepper and cinnamon.
Another vanillic sweet and fruity malt, this feels quite a bit younger and fresher, still some zest and spice present from the distillate. Some deeper notes and a beery/yeasty aroma to it once it had breathed – possibly some influence from the cask maturation.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt