Jura Winter Edition (40%, OB, 2020)
- ABV: 40%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB, Signature Series, Winter Cask Edition
- Category: Island single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £45
- Origin: Jura distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Jura Cask Editions celebrate the connection between the land and spirit, bringing together the distinctive regional flavours of selected Spanish sherry cases to our island malt. This unique Winter Edition continues to explore the world of cask finishes in ever more innovative ways. This is a rich and indulgent single malt – a special whisky for special moments.
Official tasting notes:
- Colour: Deep mahogany gold
- Nose: Citrus fruits, caramel latte, sultanas and a hint of banana.
- Taste: Coffee, maple syrup, apple pie, spicy mulled wine and a warming finish of vanilla and cinnamon.
- Cask Finish: Initially matured in American White Oak ex bourbon barrels and finished in hand-selected Spanish sherry casks, this whisky is a full-bodied and indulgent single malt, the perfect winter warmer.
What I say
As an honorary Diurach it is always a pleasure to sample a new expression from the Ilse of Jura distillery. I was particularly excited to sample this Winter Cask Edition from their Signature series which couples ex-bourbon matured Jura finished in Spanish sherry casks.
This post was sponsored by Whyte & Mackay by provision of a sample of this product.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Russet red gold (13/20), many medium tears and legs.
- Nose: Sweet, boozy and yeasty, a little doughy, red apple skin, raisin, cooked fruit, apple and bramble pie or strudel, red grape/vinous, oak wood, dark fruits, treacle.
- Taste: Initially much more neutral on the palate, dusty, caramel, toffee, unmistakably Jura, full bodied, salted caramel latte, cherry and apples give a sharpness, raisin and bramble, almost elderberry, fruity/earthy with a sharp acidity, treacle toffee and parkin cake, vanilla fudge, hint of cinnamon spice builds into fireball gobstoppers.
- Finish: Long, creamy, gently spiced caramel, pumpkin and cinnamon spiced latte.
A classic Jura expression, not sherried to death but the spirit is really brought to life by the addition of sherry-derived flavours complementing core Jura distillate. For me this is much more of an autmnal dram than a winter warmer due to the association with ‘bonfire night’ flavours.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review