Christian Drouin VSOP Calvados Pays d’Auge
- ABV: 40%
- Age: 4 Years Old
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Calvados Pays d’Auge
- Cost: £50.95 available from The Whisky Exchange
- Origin: Calvados Christian Drouin
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Double distilled, aged in small 225 litre former wine casks.
Official tasting notes:
- Colour: Light Amber
- Nose: The nose offers a subtle blend of sweet cider, baked apples, gingerbread, vanilla and cinnamon hints evolving towards almond and bee wax fragrances
- Palate: On the palate this calvados is supple and generous with Tarte Tatin flavours and a fruity apple finish.
What I say
From Christian Drouin’s Les Assemblages (Blends) range, this VSOP has been matured for a minimum of 4 years in ex-wine barriques.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: dark gold (9/20), medium-large tears and long, medium legs.
- Nose: Dark and oaky, fruity apple, white grape, plenty of toffee, floral, balanced between fruit and spice, quite muted.
- Taste: Fruity apple, marzipan, gingerbread biscuits, plenty of oak wood and tannins, resinous and sappy, even pine-like moving towards herbality
- Finish: Medium-long, spiced gingerbread, drying, leathery and gentle honeyed fruit persist.
A much more classical introductory Calvados here with a fine balance between fruity apple spirit and tannic oak cask influences, grows on the palate.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review