Springbank 15 Years Old 2002 First fill Sherry Hogshead
- ABV: 47.2%
- Age: 15 Years Old
- Bottling: J & A Mitchell & Co Ltd., Springbank Cage Bottling, Rotation #181
- Category: Campbeltown single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: n/a, Cage prices
- Origin: Springbank distillery
- Vintage: 2002
What they say
Distilled 10th May 2002 and filled into a Fresh Sherry Hogshead, stored in Warehouse 7, before a sample bottle was collected for the cage at Cadenhead’s Campbeltown store in 2017. Bottled at 47.2% ABV.
What I say
Another old note I thought I had written up a long time ago and clearly had missed. Part of a batch of Cage bottlings, this was the oldest and also matured ina fresh Sherry-seasoned Hogshead. Somewhat surprising than that the ABV has dropped to 47.2% after 15 years, clearly a rather active cask.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Old Bordeaux (14/20), quick, medium tears leave fine legs.
- Nose: Fruity and sweet, red and dried fruits, cherry, tannic, pickled walnut, raspberry coulis, raspberry ripple ice cream, malty and peaty.
- Taste: Full of sweet and juicy fruit flavours, red berries, dried strawberry, raisin, raspberry, malty cereal barley, oak wood, mossy and earthy peat and woody oak coated in engine oil.
- Finish: Long, sweet dried fruits and gentle peaty smoke.
A classic single cask expression that displays many of the qualities the official Springbank 15 year old is built on, a delight to sample this one.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review