The Good Spirits Co. Cask 23 batch 17
- ABV: 63%
- Age: 8 Years Old
- Bottling: The Good Spirits Co.
- Category: Living cask?
- Cost: £20
- Origin: Glentauchers distillery
- Vintage: 2008
What they say
The mysteriously named Cask 23 is a continuously topped-up octave cask from which batches of unique blended whisky are sold – see their website for details of what’s being added.
What I say
Located at 23 Bath Street in Glasgow, The Good Spirits Co. are one of the finest whisky shops in Glasgow. Hosts of regular tastings and also home to the eponymous living Cask 23. An onsite Octave whose fill details are available by batch. I have no idea if this is a Solera cask (i.e. never emptied) or not so it is hard to determine if this batch 17 is fully 8 year old Glentauchers or also a little bit of all the preceding batches too!
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark brown gold (16/20), quick large tears and fine legs.
- Nose: Dried fruits, raisins, sultanas, figs, damson, hint of chocolate, sweet. With water, sweeter, burnt, gristy malt, vanilla, polished oak wood, and very faint rubbery hints.
- Taste: Dried fruit, harsh and spirity, raisin, pine, milk chocolate, malty barley, gristy, walnut biscuits, maple syrup, maple & pecan danish, hints of nutmeg and pepper spice.
- Finish: Long, raisin, dry spices, tannic oak wood, nutmeg.
Potent at 63% but takes water well. Plenty of malt and dried fruits in here. Drinking (as I thought) as a blende malt I found this quite complex but without identifiable flavours.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review