Penderyn Madeira Finish (46%, OB, 2019)
- ABV: 46%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Welsh single malt whisky
- Cost: £39.75
- Origin: Penderyn distillery
- Vintage: undeclared
What they say
This whisky is the original Penderyn ‘house style’, aged in ex-bourbon barrels and finished in ex-Madeira wine casks to bring out its full gold character. It is bottled at 46% abv.
Official tasting notes:
- Nose: A classic freshness with aromas of cream toffee, rich fruit and raisins.
- Palate: Crisp and finely rounded, with the sweetness to balance an appetising dryness.
- Finish: Notes of tropical fruit, raisins and vanilla persist.
- Balance: Oaky vanilla tones/dry sweetness
What I say
Sampled during the #PenderynWhisky Tweet tasting held on St David’s Day (1st March) 2020.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: White wine gold (5/20), medium tears, long fine legs.
- Nose: sweet, white grape and furniture polish, floral, waxed fruit, grassy, hay, quite spirity with an alcohol sweetness, coconut mushroom sweeties or flumps, later, white peach in abundance and strawberry bon bons and malted milk biscuits.
- Taste: Full-bodied, white peach, strawberries and cream, malted milk biscuits, touch of white pepper and spiced lemongrass, sours as spirit citrus acidity tempers the sweet Madeira and Bourbon vanilla influences.
- Finish: Long, coppery metallic tang accompanies the softer and sweeter elements.
Better than previous memory apart from the metallic copper in the finish which detracts slightly for me, love how the nose and palate have developed more into peach and sweeties territory.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: World Whisky