Kilchoman 2012 Wine Cask Finish (56.9%, Drinks By The Dram, Wine Cask Finish #405/2012, 2018)
- Category: Islay single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Kilchoman distillery
- Bottling: Drinks By The Dram
- ABV: 56.9%
- Cost: £95.81
What they say
A single cask bottling of tasty Islay single malt from the Kilchoman distillery, bottled for Drinks by the Dram! This one was matured for 6 years, from July 2012 to August 2018, which included a finishing period in a red wine cask, before being bottled at cask strength.
Distilled 5/7/2012 and bottled 8/8/2018, peated at 50ppm
Official tasting notes:
- Nose: Scones, jam and clotted cream – a classic combo. Lasting earthy peat and some tobacco notes later on.
- Palate: Digestive biscuits, salted butter, raspberry and soft sandalwood hints.
- Finish: Clove, cinnamon, barley, smoke and oily walnut.
What I say
Door #10 of the Drinks by the dram Scotch Whisky Advent Calendar.
Distilled at Kilchoman in 2012 and matured, I presume in an ex-bourbon barrel before spending some indeterminate time in an ex-Red wine cask before bottling exclusively for Drinks by the dram in 2018.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark copper amber (12/20), large, quick tears leave medium legs.
- Nose: Smoky, ashen and earthy, toffee, fruit, sweet and cloying jammy red fruits, fusty and musty wood, nori seaweed, meaty, bbq spare ribs and tobacco leaf.
- Taste: Quite sharp and spirity initially with a little spice, full bodied on the palate, malty cereal and red fruit jam or coulis with a hint of acidity displayed, raspberry, cranberry, bramble jam on buttered scones a little herbal aniseed like?
- Finish: Long, smoky, jammy fruits, woody and dry, clove.
Another great example of smoky and sweet from Kilchoman, reminiscent of previous port cask releases this fruity red wine cask has certainly worked here.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt