Ledaig 19 Years Old 1998 PX Cask Finish (55.7%, OB, 360 bottles, 2018)
- Category: Island single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Tobermory distillery
- Bottling: Distell, OB, Limited Edition 2018
- ABV: 55.7%
- Cost: £150
What they say
Distilled in 1998 this Ledaig expression has been matured for 19 years and finished in Pedro Ximenez sherry casks, 360 bottles released in the UK at 55.7% ABV.
Official tasting notes:
- Sweet & smoky
What I say
Thanks to Distell for providing samples of their 2018 Limited Edition releases.
Distilled at Tobermory distillery from peated malt, this Ledaig has matured in ex-Bourbon casks before being finished in ex-PX sherry casks.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Old Bordeaux (14/20), medium-fine tears and fine legs.
- Nose: Caramelised nuts, sweet, nutty, honey, dusty charcoal smoke, chocolate, meaty venison in dark chocolate sauce, leathery, dried fruit with a touch of sherry balsamic vinegar.
- Taste: Smoked dried fruits, raisin, toffee, coffee, chocolate. leather, molasses, dates, fig jam, nutty and a touch mentholic, smoke persists, mint dark chocolate / After Eights.
- Finish: Long, sweet polished tofee with smoked & candied walnuts.
Wow, completely different from the Ledaig 1998 Oloroso finish, this is a super expression with much more intense dried fruit, nut and chocolate influence balanced better againats the smoky Ledaig spirit. A touch mentholic but a great example of where this works in conjunction with rich dark chocolate.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review