Williamson 6 Years Old Cask #130
- Category: Blended malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Laphroaig teaspooned with Ardbeg
- Bottling: A. D. Rattray, Cask Collection
- ABV: 61.14%
- Cost: £50.01
What they say
- Distillery Region Islay
- Date Bottled 10.11.2017
- Cask Type Sherry Butt
- No. of Bottles 504
- Cask Number 130
- Age 6 Years Old
- Date Distilled 27.04.2011
- Strength 61.1% alc./vol.
Official tasting notes:
- Colour: Deep gold.
- Nose: Salted caramel and wood smoke.
- Palate: Butter shortbread, earthy peat and smoke.
- Finish: Lingering peat and aniseed in the true Islay style.
What I say
Sampled during the A.D. Rattray tweet tasting #ADRattray hosted by Steve at The Whisky Wire on 10th September 2018.
Williamson is usually Laphroaig distillate that has been teaspooned with local distillery Ardbeg to prevent it being bottled as a ‘single’ malt or laying claim to Laphroaig as its sole origin. Rumour has it the actual practice of adding a teaspoon of something else is hardly bothered with these days, and even so it is unlikely to change the majority content of the cask anyway.
So for all intents and purposes this is a 6 year old 2011 vintage Laphroaig matured in a single sherry butt, bottled at cask strength by A. D. Rattray.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Sauternes gold (8/20), medium-large, quick, oily tears leave fine legs.
- Nose: Sharp lemon citrus, bbq beef, malty, smoked almonds and walnuts, a sprinkle of salt, walnut crackers, peat smoke is shy, dry and a touch medicinal with hints of eucalyptus
- Taste: Opens with lemon juice and cracked black and pink peppercorns, menthol crystals, and eucalyptus oil, peat smoke, tarry, malt extract, treacle toffee, dry (not sweet) raisins, a touch fiery and ashen too.
- Finish: Long, minty dark chocolate, coffee grinds and liqourice
Probably would have been my dram of the night if the Cask Islay (Caol Ila?) hadn’t been so darned good! A lot earthier in its peat this one and some substantial cask influence despite the use of a bigger vessel (butt) over a relatively short period. Perhaps if left a few more years this one could have been truly amazing?
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review